Go Back OFN Forums > Tech Section > Tutorials

Tutorials Tutorials

Tutorials Tutorials

Closed Tutorial

Tutorial Tools
How to build plate & tube shackles
Follow along as I build a set of hybrid shackles that combine the simplicity of plate with the strength and style of tubular gussets.
Published by TheBandit
01-19-2007
Lightbulb How to build plate & tube shackles

The first step to building any set of shackles is figuring out the dimensions you want. I recommend drawing a picture and carefully labelling everything. Then cut the desired length from a piece of flatbar. Here I am using 2-1/2" wide, 1/4" thick plate to build 5-1/2" eye-to-eye shackles.

Use a hammer and punch to mark the bolt hole locations

Tutorial Tools
<< <    Next Page: Page 2 (Page 1 of 9)    >  >>
By fabcam on 01-19-2007, 10:27 AM
Nice write up Clint. As soon as we get the new tutorial module up correctly we will get this into that section. thanks for the job well done. It looks like you have earned your membership for one more year.
By TheBandit on 01-19-2007, 10:55 AM
Thanks Cris! I uploaded all the pictures to OFN without watermarks on them so they can be on here indefinitely. I also added a blurb to the top to use for the tutorial section. Please use the very last picture for the tutorial icon.
By smashmetal on 01-19-2007, 11:58 AM
Awsome idea with the socket and bolt to center the tube over your hole, Nice write up!
By ScooteK on 01-19-2007, 12:37 PM
Very nice work Bandit! Excelent instructions and saftey tips.
I really like the combination of the two styles of shackles, flat and round.
By KeithXtreme on 01-20-2007, 03:54 PM
Excellent work Bandit.....I made some posting changes so its in pages now witha header Thumbnail....Way to go!!!
By Captainfab on 01-20-2007, 11:20 PM
Great job Bandit You've certainly been busy lately. I myself have never seen shackles like these, is this your design? I like them
By TheBandit on 01-21-2007, 01:31 AM
Thanks guys!

My brother came up with this idea after seeing some full tube shackles and we've both made a few sets over the last few years. They have held up great except the first pair I did I used thin wall tubing for the bungs and one dented while rock crawling. That's why I am using 1/4" wall DOM tubing for the lower bungs on these.

My brother recently made a pair of 12" shackles using this design and he added a piece of rectangular tubing between them for a gusset. They look wicked at that length, especially with the gusset between them.
Closed Tutorial