Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Offroad Fabrication

Offroad Fabrication Offroad Fabrication

Offroad Fabrication Offroad Fabrication

Old 01-31-2010, 10:12 PM
Master Fabricator

Well while I wait on my spacer to come I thought I'd put the transmission and t-case together to get a visual picture of packaging the beast. The female coupler that mates the 27 spline shaft on the np 205 to the 27 spline shaft on the 700r4 trans. allows for 1.5 inches of engagement for each shaft. The main shaft has 2.5 inches of spline shaft. So with putting it all together I could see that there was a full inch of spline shaft showing which seems rather useless. I have a stock 4wd shaft so I cut off an inch of splined shaft. That left me 1.5 inches of splined shaft on the main shaft of my 700r4. So I put it all back together again and now I just have .5 inches of space that I will need to make an adapter for. Mind you I am running a .5 inch clocking plate for the np205 so if you are not running the clocking plate you'll have a 1 inch space to make an adapter for. I think I can just cut the coming spacer in half and machine it down and make two spacers out of it. Total length from the face of the trans. to the back of the 1350 cv yoke is 41.75 inches. Total length of adapters from the face of the t-case to the rear face of the trans. will be 4.5 inches.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:53 AM
Master Fabricator

couldnt just put a different output shaft in the transmission and eliminate the spacer all together?
Old 02-01-2010, 02:19 AM
Fabricator

i made my spacer on the lathe used a tale cone of a th350 and cut the flange off of it and put it in a lath and cut a lip on the inside if you wnat to play that can be done for little to nothing.

Sam
Old 02-01-2010, 02:19 AM
Master Fabricator

hey teenycar you have an other view of your shifter at the case looks good.
I may have a coupler if you are going to shorten it anyway was on a homemade doubler setup I picked up not good for going back to stock but if shortened would be ok
bob
Old 02-01-2010, 01:29 PM
Master Fabricator

I had the trans built using a stock shaft because I didn't know what t-case I'd be using. I don't want to pay someone to tear the trans. all down to install a new short mainshaft and put it all back together. I ordered the spacer and I think I can just cut it in half and put it on the lathe and make two spacers out of it so I will have one to sell or use for a later project if I need one. I wondered if I should just go hunting for a tailhousing but the spacer is already coming so I'll just wait to see how it will work. At $100 for the spacer I hate to not use it.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:02 PM
Master Fabricator

So I got the spacer last week and cut it in half and Randy turned a lip into each one. Each spacer is .600 thick and this allows me to have a full 1 1/2" of splined shaft engagement into the coulper and I have another spacer should I ever need one for another project. Hahahahahahaw.

And in order to package everything as tightly as possible I did a little modification to the water pump. Cut off the portion where the thermostat is and welded a couple of 1 1/2" inlet/outlets to the housing after I had to form them to make a round peg fit in a square hole! I also blocked off the stock upper hole. I guess this is a common deal in the sandcar industry. Pretty easy really and I'm told it should work very well.

This allows me to run the coolant tubes very close to the engine and keep it all a tight package. I also ordered up a Ron Davis dual pass radiator which should be here in a couple of weeks.
Got most of the powertrain mounted.
Engine mounts...

Trans. mount...

Still gotta figure out something for the otherside of the t-case.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:15 PM
Master Fabricator

Looks like a Chevy 205 like mine. If so I may have some cad files that could help you ...

J. J.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:17 PM
Master Fabricator

Or if you want something one-off you can at least save yourself some work by checking out the files I've posted here:

http://www.trailslesstraveled.com/re...transfer-case/

J. J.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:21 PM
Master Fabricator

Well I started working on the arms. This is my first attempt at building some fabricated trailing arms so you'll have to excuse them if they are not up to par with others you've seen. They are made from 3/16" thick cold rolled on the sides and top and 1/4" cold rolled on the bottom. 56" long and the shocks are about a third of the way up the link. I bought some extended shock ends but haven't put them on yet, but you get the idea. The arms tip the scales at 34 pounds each.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:23 PM
Fabricator

Your design is abslolutely beautiful! I've seen one picture of your chassis on a random roller bender thread from Pirate, and am pleased to have found the build thread here! I have spent all morning here at work reading through it, and...... damn! It's not finished?!

Subscribed!

Thanks for the tech and dropping the name of the supplier for those adjustable t-handles. I plan on using that information on my current build. Plus, as you may already know (having so many different hobbies) there will be a time when a new project will require something special.

Thanks again for taking the time to detail out your build.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:18 PM
Junior Fabricator

I know I'm bringin up a real old thread and I'm sorry for that but I'd love to see this thing finished. It looks awesome
Old 09-14-2017, 02:08 PM
Banned

I like its stuff that you build looking so awesome no Drama its class work of art . But the most important thing for me its Tyres looking excellent .Overall its structure is so nice and powerful .
Old 09-14-2017, 09:17 PM
Master Fabricator

im glad jimmy brings back awesome builds.
I love this build, and enjoyed re-reading this tread.

Teeny i hope this got completed
Old 10-03-2017, 04:19 PM
Banned

I just read this post , few years ago I remember back a one of the offroad mags did an article on a new race truck from. I think Walker Evans that had an independent front and rear. Had sick wheel travel and turning radius.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:12 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmygarison View Post
I just read this post , few years ago I remember back a one of the offroad mags did an article on SNIP<
Bullshet.

E