Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Mini Fabrication

Mini Fabrication Mini Choppers, Mini Sandrails....Pint sized anything Fabrication

Mini Fabrication Mini Choppers, Mini Sandrails....Pint sized anything Fabrication

Old 03-26-2012, 09:21 PM
Junior Fabricator

mini sandrail

I'm looking for a single seat off roader with an agresive look, but I need to do as many budget option as possible, I'm looking at the badlands ST2-long travel

and for the budget part, i've heard of just using a truck diff for the rear, and I could use a kawaski 750 engine and trans because the use a U-joint as an output...

But I wouldnt mind building something from scratch if I had too, but I would need something to base it off of.

Please post pics of your buggies
Old 03-27-2012, 12:23 AM
Master Fabricator

Sinister Sand Sports SR1
Old 03-27-2012, 03:21 PM
Master Fabricator

http://www.minibuggy.net/forum/

http://www.dtsfab.com/index/index.php

The St2 plans are for independant suspension so just cramming a truck rear end in there will require some serious redoing.

You CAN much more easily just use a rear diff from a small IRS car. This would be far easier than converting the machine to a trucks straight axle.

As for the motor they make Dwarf car adaptors (about $75.00 for one) for nearly all the popular motors that bolts right to where the sprocket did and you turn the motor sideways.

This is likley more easy than using a bike with a driveshaft already on it as most bike driveshafts are small and unique to the bike. So that custom drvieshaft SIZES are usually $$$. But the dwarf car adaptors use common U-joints and a custom LENGTH common u-joint driveshaft is FAR cheaper and easier to get usually.

If you plan to go from scratch you will need to learn (IF you do not already know) front end geometry. There are several things in the front end that all NEED to work together to make a nive handleing buggy (The rears important too!) But if you get one thing wrong in the front it will hanlde like a turd.

Those site links above will help yah. Read read read!

Last edited by Nutz4sand; 03-27-2012 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old 03-27-2012, 08:32 PM
Junior Fabricator

http://www.erwinb.nl/buggy_pics/16.jpg
This was what I ment by the truck diff, not the whole axle

Last edited by Off Road King; 03-27-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:50 PM
Master Fabricator

Ah. Lots of diffs out there already with German CV flanges already on them. The new Thunderbird are aluminum to so they do not weigh a ton. Don't have to go into custom axles then.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:14 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocflip201 View Post
a budget was mentioned

I will guess she is high maintence, and very expensive. I would just stick with the car
Old 03-28-2012, 07:34 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyFromOlympia View Post
I will guess she is high maintence, and very expensive. I would just stick with the car
Likely a good choice, not to mess with the wife of the car builder...

Old 03-28-2012, 09:30 PM
Junior Fabricator

is it possible to modife an st2 long travel from 25' atv tires to 37's for more of a rock crawler aspect?
Old 03-28-2012, 10:10 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road King View Post
is it possible to modife an st2 long travel from 25' atv tires to 37's for more of a rock crawler aspect?
Anythings possible and you would have to beef the design up with thicker tube and more braces and alter the geometry a good bit. But then you get back to the IRS or/vs straight axle for crawling arguement.

Better bases to start out with for that large of a tire. IMO.

These (st2) were built to be a smaller light weight long travelish minibuggy.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:24 PM
Master Fabricator

My two cents, build either a rockcrawler or a single seater dune buggy, don't try to comprise the both worlds to make a universal rig because dunes and rockcrawling are two very different demands.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:55 PM
Junior Fabricator

I dont really have a need for dunes, more of a trail buggy, and it looked like a great setup for it because of the LT system
Old 03-29-2012, 08:07 PM
Junior Fabricator

would the frame support 27's on a 12'' beadlocked rims 4-lug design? just off a UTV...
and to the people that have these, is there any way to run a drive shaft to the front for a possible 4x4 setup? just take all the drive train setup out of a UTV, engine, trans, T-case, ifs front and rear and just extend the front DL...
Please do help me with this
Old 03-29-2012, 08:19 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
I dont really have a need for dunes, more of a trail buggy, and it looked like a great setup for it because of the LT system
Gotcha, I just assumed ya wanted a sandrail cuz of the name of the thread title.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:30 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
would the frame support 27's on a 12'' beadlocked rims 4-lug design? just off a UTV...
and to the people that have these, is there any way to run a drive shaft to the front for a possible 4x4 setup? just take all the drive train setup out of a UTV, engine, trans, T-case, ifs front and rear and just extend the front DL...
Please do help me with this
If you're going to take all the guts out of a UTV, why not just start with a UTV and build a custom long-arm suspension; when comparing against building a complete custom its gonna be tons easier, more than likely look better, probably function better, you'll get an extra seat, you'll be done in a fraction of the time, and cost can be kept lower.

If you don't want to do that because you want a sort of "tube-buggy" then chop the top off and build a custom rollcage. Look at ZTFab's work here on the OFN for inspiration.

And the simple answer to your question of strength, is yes it can be done. The best rule of thumb is: if you add more power, you need stronger parts, if you add more weight (larger tires, heavier frame etc you need stronger parts.

So, if you use a UTV engine and UTV tires, then more than likely UTV driveshafts will be strong enough.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:37 PM
Master Fabricator

And fwiw if you're going to use an ATV or UTV engine, a "full size truck" rear differential like you posted earlier is beyond overkill for that engine and tire selection, and will just be unnecessary weight. And performance with a UTV engine, weight savings is your best friend.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:06 PM
Junior Fabricator

should I just go ahead and buy this instead then, it has the same amount of travel... and already has the tires, I would just have to add some protection and a beadlocked rims and possible be at the same point
http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-...rgr_rzr_xp_900
Old 03-29-2012, 09:08 PM
Master Fabricator

I would, those 900's are awesome. And modded ones are even cooler.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:41 PM
Junior Fabricator

I found a long arm system for it that would let me run 30 with lots of movement, or bigger, but less movement... plus a trubo kit and some great looking decals
Old 03-29-2012, 09:52 PM
Junior Fabricator

http://sxsheadquarters.com/hcr-polar...king-shocks-3/
do those look like 30's? they seem to be a truck tire instead of atv, mounted on 14'' rim? I cant find any tires for a 14 that aint car tires, help please... I like to have everything worked out before I go off and start buying stuff
Old 03-30-2012, 01:15 PM
Master Fabricator

. . .seems to me that you should be calling the manufacturer of the parts you are looking at and ask them. Most of us here would be guessing if we said: "Yep em are 30's."