Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Ian from Xtreme 4x4's designs

Ian from Xtreme 4x4's designs Ian shares his designs with us from his hit TV show Xtreme 4x4

Ian from Xtreme 4x4's designs Ian shares his designs with us from his hit TV show Xtreme 4x4

Old 10-22-2012, 10:04 AM
Master Fabricator

Ian, you know that I'm one of your biggest fans. I didn't come over and say Howdy at Bowling Green to you and Jimmy, y'all was swamped with people. We all know that there is a right way and a wrong way to do things. My Vo -Tech teacher told us the first day of class, " Children there is a high road and a low road in auto-mechanics, I encourage you all to take the HIGH Road and never jeopardize anyone's safety including you own." He was right, cheap and easy= dangerous ! Ian, I'm NOT a HATER, jealousy causes hate. I'm glad to have friends like you and Jimmy, so when I have questions I have somebody to turn too. THIS IS NOT PIRATE4X4. No ATTITUDES HERE, PLEASE. Everybody have a good day.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:41 AM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian from Xtreme View Post
Wow....a whole lot of "critics" or haters in this thread.....

Do I sometimes use a chisel to set the final preload on the side bearings on a 9", or a yota axle..yes I do. Can you buy a tool to do it....sure.

Why do I do it that way.....I guess because I have always done it that way. Are there better (OEM) ways of doing things sure. But I am also sure that any OEM would also not want me to cut off their IFS front suspension that they spent millions of dollars designing for proper bump steer and ride comfort. But I want a solid axle!!!! So I cut that junk off and make it better.

Believe me I used to sit at home and arm chair quarterback these shows just like everyone else....but remember. This show is not an OEM manual....it is a "how to" show that is meant to empower viewers to get out into their garage and work on their own projects.

And Hey MFS, I would certainly not profess to be the "best" fabricator in the world...but I think the rigs that I have built are far from "hack" status. If you think differently...I guess that is your opinion....but lets go wheelin sometime I will bring some of my "hacked" up junk.
Warning don't read unless you have thick skin :)
I need that on all my posts lol cause I seam to offend everyone.

Your not a hack, some of the stuff I have seen you do on the show is a little hack, IMO. Understand I am a professional fabricator And my standards are fairly high. Yet I have worked with guys that call me a hack. But most would say I'm too anal. You where welding on tabs for the coil overs and it had a big gap! that's kind of a Critical part of the chassis Don't you think? Not hate just Critiquing your work a little bit. Maybe my critiquing will bring your standards up a bit. I would like to go wheeling and see your hacked rig :) I don't know have not seen your stuff up close maybe it worst then I think... Or better. :) Powder Coating does hide a lot though. I try not to do short cuts they don't seam to be worth it. How would i Explain hammer marks to my customers? When they came to me expecting that I would have all the right tools. You're damaging parts while installing them plain and simple. Use the right tool and the parts don't get hammer marks on them. Right? You do this kind of work why not get the tools or make them? Why teach people your bad habits? Or maybe just tell the camera guy not the film that part :) What does doing a solid axle swap have to do with installing a hub Properly? That part hasn't changed just because its on a Different Vehicle. IMO a how to show should show how to do it right, right being the way a professional would do it. We think of you as a professional thats why we where shocked to see this stuff. But Some MacGyver tricks are great to know for when your stuck on the trail and have limited tools or your just low budget, but a hub socket and spanner wrench is Cheap compared to like the Randy's r&p bearing puller i have. Still love the show your doing a great job can't wait to see more. I Think your lucky to be doing all this but I'm sure it's still hard work. It's great that you take the time to talk shop with us thanks! Even though it took you 15months to reply.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:38 PM
Master Fabricator

Please feel free to post some of your work MFS. Not calling you out, just would like to see what your self-proclamation of "professional fabricator" does. And search results say you have not started any threads.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfs View Post
Warning don't read unless you have thick skin :)
I need that on all my posts lol cause I seam to offend everyone.

Your not a hack, some of the stuff I have seen you do on the show is a little hack, IMO. Understand I am a professional fabricator And my standards are fairly high. Yet I have worked with guys that call me a hack. But most would say I'm too anal. You where welding on tabs for the coil overs and it had a big gap! that's kind of a Critical part of the chassis Don't you think? Not hate just Critiquing your work a little bit. Maybe my critiquing will bring your standards up a bit. I would like to go wheeling and see your hacked rig :) I don't know have not seen your stuff up close maybe it worst then I think... Or better. :) Powder Coating does hide a lot though. I try not to do short cuts they don't seam to be worth it. How would i Explain hammer marks to my customers? When they came to me expecting that I would have all the right tools. You're damaging parts while installing them plain and simple. Use the right tool and the parts don't get hammer marks on them. Right? You do this kind of work why not get the tools or make them? Why teach people your bad habits? Or maybe just tell the camera guy not the film that part :) What does doing a solid axle swap have to do with installing a hub Properly? That part hasn't changed just because its on a Different Vehicle. IMO a how to show should show how to do it right, right being the way a professional would do it. We think of you as a professional thats why we where shocked to see this stuff. But Some MacGyver tricks are great to know for when your stuck on the trail and have limited tools or your just low budget, but a hub socket and spanner wrench is Cheap compared to like the Randy's r&p bearing puller i have. Still love the show your doing a great job can't wait to see more. I Think your lucky to be doing all this but I'm sure it's still hard work. It's great that you take the time to talk shop with us thanks! Even though it took you 15months to reply.
Oh trust me....I have thick skin it started to thicken up when I was teaching (old man Johnson knew nothing according to my students) and it became thicker with this TV show.

You mention gaps on brackets or tabs.....I know how important proper material set up and joint prep is. Sometimes it is simply camera "angle" on stuff like that, I have watched rough cuts of the show ans went back and looked at the actual bracket and it fooled me and I was in the same room. You have to remember that you are watching in 2D not 3D. The same thing happens sometimes when I am drilling......it will look like the bit is totally crooked, but it is running true.

Now....am I saying that every single piece of tubing or bracket I put on a chassis has a perfect gap....no I would never make that statement, and I am sure that you are in the same boat.

You know that bracket you just wanted "done" it happens to all of us.

I know it took me a long time to reply......I have not been here in a while my fault.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyTrash View Post
Ian, you know that I'm one of your biggest fans. I didn't come over and say Howdy at Bowling Green to you and Jimmy, y'all was swamped with people. We all know that there is a right way and a wrong way to do things. My Vo -Tech teacher told us the first day of class, " Children there is a high road and a low road in auto-mechanics, I encourage you all to take the HIGH Road and never jeopardize anyone's safety including you own." He was right, cheap and easy= dangerous ! Ian, I'm NOT a HATER, jealousy causes hate. I'm glad to have friends like you and Jimmy, so when I have questions I have somebody to turn too. THIS IS NOT PIRATE4X4. No ATTITUDES HERE, PLEASE. Everybody have a good day.
No worries....I agree with the OP that I could do a better job with this type of thing....and who nows maybe I will have to do an entire show on "shortcuts" and when to use them.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:53 PM
Fabricator

wow I didn't think it would become a lets tear everything we see on the show apart thread when i posted this wayyyyy back then. I greatly enjoy the power block especially x-treme this line of modifying is close to my heart. I could really go to town on welding since I hold several tickets and welded professionally for the better part of a decade. But I do not. because my opinion is exactly that my opinion. I only called a crucial safety issue I saw, and not personal preference positions. good night to all.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchbender View Post
wow I didn't think it would become a lets tear everything we see on the show apart thread when i posted this wayyyyy back then. I greatly enjoy the power block especially x-treme this line of modifying is close to my heart. I could really go to town on welding since I hold several tickets and welded professionally for the better part of a decade. But I do not. because my opinion is exactly that my opinion. I only called a crucial safety issue I saw, and not personal preference positions. good night to all.
Hey Wrench.....no worries man. I don't think that anyone is trying to "bash" the show apart, and I am not taking any of this personal. I was only trying to explain "why" I was performing that particular install the way I did.

I respect everyones opinion and listen to all questions/concerns about the show....I have been doing this for close to a decade now and still love every single minute of it.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:57 PM
Fabricator

Ian, mass respect to you I know it's really hard to get those kind of projects done. You have to push your self. If people knew how long some of these projects take they Probably wouldn't even start them. I lot of projects i start don't get finished because Customers run out of money and don't really know what there getting into.. It looks alot easier on tv. :)
Old 10-24-2012, 09:39 AM
Fabricator

I would like to pitch an idea for the basis of a project. I would like to see a 4BT cummins/allison with planetary axles. the axles can be picked up at equipment recyclers they could be had with large rear tires and smaller front or same size all around .Wet brakes and lockers from the factory.