Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Mini Fabrication

Mini Fabrication Mini Choppers, Mini Sandrails....Pint sized anything Fabrication

Mini Fabrication Mini Choppers, Mini Sandrails....Pint sized anything Fabrication

Old 02-20-2010, 08:26 PM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadbuggy01 View Post
hey im sure many people on here and especially me would love to see the dimmensions/plans of your buggy i am in the same position as you i want a 4wheeler with a roll cage
Thanks a lot and even just a rough plan would be acceptable as well
If any of you have Bendtech Pro and want the plans from this program let me know and I'll email you what I have. For those of you who don't have Bend Tech Pro, get it. Well worth the money! You can recoup your money with the tube bends you don't have to scrap! Plus you'll know what it looks like before you ever cut your first tube. Here is a picture with some of the dimensions from Bendtech Pro.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Buggy frame measurements.jpg
Views:	2250
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	6146  
Old 02-20-2010, 08:27 PM
Fabricator

The dimensions are in inches.

Marvin
Old 04-05-2010, 11:58 PM
Junior Fabricator

thanks for the dimensions and everything and i want to get the bendtech pro but i dont want to spend the 300 dollars is there any other dimensions you could give that has some angles on it and possibly mounting specs? thanks for all your help
Old 07-22-2010, 12:08 PM
Junior Fabricator

First time posting. Actually I found this site thru your YouTube video and google. Your ground-up build is outstanding with great info. I'm even thinking of building one instead of buying a $13,999.00 RZR-S. I currently have a 02 Sportsman 700. Thanks again and keep us informed on your next version.

Ray
Old 07-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Master Fabricator

Not trying to be picky but it looks like the back of your frame is tweaked in the first pick on 03-01-2007, 09:53 AM if you look at your garage door and line it up with the frame, which may be why your sitting sideways on the last picks. Just a thought.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:09 AM
Junior Fabricator

have you had any trouble with the engine not getting enought oil thru the motor compontents
Old 08-21-2010, 10:32 AM
Junior Fabricator

polaris 800 2seater build

i have looked at the 1 seat builds and they did a great job... i would like to get some ideas on how to make everything work for a 2 seater......how or how could weld extenions on the cv axles and make a new drive shaft for the front it is going to be 4 wheel drive... Thanks Gary
Old 08-21-2010, 11:18 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatharley View Post
i have looked at the 1 seat builds and they did a great job... i would like to get some ideas on how to make everything work for a 2 seater......how or how could weld extenions on the cv axles and make a new drive shaft for the front it is going to be 4 wheel drive... Thanks Gary
I would love to follow that build, when are you going to start?
Old 08-21-2010, 05:46 PM
Junior Fabricator

i will start next friday and saturday.... i brought a frame from bugs and buggies it is a warrrior 95 " wheel base yes i know it is a vw based frame but it is a tacked frame so we are going to mod it to fit our needs... need input would appecteatided
Old 08-22-2010, 03:12 PM
Master Fabricator

Have you statred a thread on it yet?
Old 08-22-2010, 05:08 PM
Junior Fabricator

how do you post a new thread
Old 08-23-2010, 12:50 AM
Master Fabricator

just pick the approiet subject and ckick new thread
Old 09-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Fabricator

Quote:
have you had any trouble with the engine not getting enought oil thru the motor compontents
I have not had any issues with oil starvation nor any temp problems. I was going to check the angle of the engine but figured what's the use as I don't know what the original angle was. Anyhow no problems with the engine.

Marvin
Old 09-04-2010, 12:17 PM
Fabricator

Quote:
For the CV axles I took them to a shop that specializes in CV axles. They've never done an ATV axle but was willing to try. Never had a problem with the extended axles. Basically what they did was this;

Cut the axle in the middle. The new tube steel is .25" wall thickness. The inside diameter is ever so slightly smaller than the outside diameter of the original axle. They then pressed the original axle into the new tube from both ends and welded the ends. They did not use any plugs (where you drill a hole in your outer tube and weld around the inside circle matting the 2 tubes together).

For the front driveshaft I did that myself and did the same thing as above with the exception of press fitting the new and old tubes togther. I didn't have press so I got the new (outer) tube as close in inside diameter as I could to the old driveshafts outer diameter. So the old shaft is slid into the new tube by about 12-15". However long the shaft is divided in half. I did do the plug (not sure of the terminology here) and I did about 6 of those up and down the new driveshaft. I've had no porblems with vibrations. I was told by the CV axle tech that vibrations in shafts and axles typically happen when you have a large mass (read larger diameter). My front shaft is like 1.25" wide.

Good Luck and I'll look for your build,
Marvin
Old 09-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Junior Fabricator

thanks we got the motor installed and the frame rolling in 3 days.... i will post a thread and start showing pics...
Old 06-17-2012, 09:02 AM
Junior Fabricator

i would to see more pics of this. did you put a splash pan on it.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:16 PM
Fabricator

I keep getting requests for my buggy dimensions and I know they're in this thread but I'll attach a couple more files along with the Bend Tech Pro file for those that own the software. BTW I sold the buggy 2 years ago and it ran great for 3 years that I had it. I know want to take apart a 09' RZR S and make a tube chassis for it. Still deciding.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Buggy dimensions2.jpg
Views:	736
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	7774   Click image for larger version

Name:	Buggy frame measurements.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	7775   Click image for larger version

Name:	buggy with angles1.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	7776  

Attached Files
File Type: zip 4Real15.zip (38.8 KB, 425 views)
Old 02-19-2019, 11:38 AM
Junior Fabricator

Sorry to bring this back from the dead but I’m building a similar deal and I’m wondering how the handle bars work? Trying to decide if I should keep them or go for a wheel? Using a old trail boss 350l so no power steering.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:11 PM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokehouse_83 View Post
Sorry to bring this back from the dead but I’m building a similar deal and I’m wondering how the handle bars work? Trying to decide if I should keep them or go for a wheel? Using a old trail boss 350l so no power steering.
Smokehouse, The handle bars were a slight pain because the bars were too close the A Pillars (rollcage) so I was limited on how far I could turn. Suggestions would be to either stretch the chassis a little bit more or possibly on the A Pillars don't make the angle so drastic. Or mount the A pillars more forward on the chassis. As far as a steering wheel it wouldn't work in my situation because I used bigger tires and they were the same size tires all the way around and therefore were harder to turn. If you used narrower front tires you might be able to do a steering wheel. Just don't make it too small and possibly look at steering assist. Wasn't a whole lot of steering assist options when I did my build. Good Luck.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:57 PM
Master Fabricator

This has to be some kind of a record?

Not only for thread bump, but also for the OP still being here to answer after 12 yrs!

Way to go rea2112!