Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Mini Fabrication

Mini Fabrication Mini Choppers, Mini Sandrails....Pint sized anything Fabrication

Mini Fabrication Mini Choppers, Mini Sandrails....Pint sized anything Fabrication

Old 03-07-2015, 02:25 PM
Junior Fabricator

Front engine quad to buggy build

Has Anyone ever thought of or built a small 4x4 buggy out of quad parts, using a front engine? Here is what I'm thinking, build a frame that will mount a quad motor, say a Grizzly 500ish up to or above the front diff. with the rear driveshaft running between the seats, wheelbase as short as possible with the seats between the front and rear wheels. It has to fit in the back of a pickup width wise. I see a minimal body like a small CJ-2 or one of those Mini-Beeps. I'm thinking front engine to get the weight forward for climbing steep hills. This will be used to explore old mining sites and prospecting.
Thanks for any thoughts!!
Old 03-07-2015, 08:28 PM
Master Fabricator

Hello!!!!!yes I've thought of and seen same,great for kids etc but if it's going to be use as described I'd say the original platform would beat it every time
Old 03-08-2015, 11:03 AM
Master Fabricator

What I'm seeing is give or take is a quad that is now hauling around 60 to 100% more weight. Is that level of performance acceptable?

Slightly larger but the one I keep coming back to is a 4WD car like a Yota Turcel(sp?) or the ubiquitous early Subaru (that had a T/C), keep the basic chassis cut away everything that isn't necessary, add a full cage structure with a FlatBed on the back for versatility. Presto a Street legal (title to the car) quad that could be a kick to run.

E

Old 03-08-2015, 08:24 PM
Junior Fabricator

Yea, I have thought about a Subaru cut down, but what it came down to was 1, the Sub is larger than I needed though it would be more streetable than a quad based machine 2, the wheel travel on the Sub is not meant for real off roading, travel and articulation is lacking 3, the gearing also leaves something to be desired. As far as a quad powered machine being overworked, all the quads I have ridden are actually Overpowered especially the 500cc and above. A quad would work, but I Need a cage and seat belts, plus if the seats can be dropped down between the front and rear tires, the CG can be lowered.
Thanks all!
Old 03-08-2015, 09:32 PM
Master Fabricator

Not front engine, but quad engine/samy axles.

http://www.minibuggy.net/forum/proje...tml#post182464

Theres a thread here somewhere (OFN)of a really nice modified Polaris quad into a single seater buggy.

Try searching Polaris.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:22 PM
Junior Fabricator

I'm kinda looking to do something similar. Here are someplaces to look for info on the subject. A british site known as difflock, under custom builds has a lot of build types like this. Also look up Ford's junior jeep, Mighty mite m-422, Crosley jeep, etc. In ww2 and after there was several phototype of "mini jeeps" to study. Wheelbases ranging 65'' to around 76''.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:31 PM
Junior Fabricator

One more place for ideas for a build is the Nutfield Airboure Jeep. If you look on G503 Military Vehicle, a guy is built a replica almost from the ground.