Go Back OFN Forums > General Discussion > The Lounge

The Lounge Its 5:00 somewhere... This is the area where, after a hard days work, you sit back, relax, and unwind...

The Lounge Its 5:00 somewhere... This is the area where, after a hard days work, you sit back, relax, and unwind...

Old 11-06-2017, 02:01 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

7yr old boy welder

Thank you Rory for reminding me how badly I wanted to get my son welding. Rory shared a few photos and video of his 8yr old grandaughter welding here - how cool is that? My son Logan is 7 years old and this weekend I figured it was about time he gave welding a shot too. I didn't learn to weld until I was in my late teens, but I remember it opening my imagination to a whole new world of possibilities and creations. I hope it gives my son the same sense of limitlessness.

I started with a basic lesson on safety and suited him up with an apron and some welding gloves. I found by using some of my softer leather gloves, he was able to move his fingers okay despite them being over sized. I also sized my Miller Elite helmet down and was able to fit it to him - I figured an auto-darkening helmet would make this a lot easier.

We started by making some pretend passes on a plate with the machine off. I gave him basic pointers on gun position and travel speed.

The biggest challenge for him was holding the weight of the gun and hose, which were also awkwardly large for him to handle. I helped by supporting under his hand and holding up the hose behind the gun. He was really excited when it came time to make his first weld. As he was welding, I talked to him about travel speed and reminded him to keep the trigger held, move slowly, and maintain the right distance at the tip. He followed instruction like a champ.

The session culminated with him welding a 90 degree joint, which turned out better than a lot of the stuff I've welded myself. Proud kid - proud dad!

Nothing brings me more joy than sharing experiences like this with my kids. I can't wait to do the same with his younger sister, 4, when she's a little older. For now, Logan and I are planning his first real welding project. I'm thinking some metal art as a Christmas present for his mom... maybe tack washers together in the shape of something she can hang on the wall.

Sometimes you win. Sometimes you learn.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:31 PM
Master Fabricator

Bravo!

Old 11-06-2017, 08:51 PM
Designer & Builder

Thanks for sharing. Yes the table height was an issue with holding the gun up for Heaven also. She laid a bunch of beads then I had her do the same fillet layout. Good times. She has since then watched a bunch of YouTube videos on welding. We haven't been back in the shop since she was sick this last weekend. She is still interested and like the photos you shared. Enjoy.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:10 AM
Master Fabricator

That's awesome. I'm a little behind. Still trying to help my 9 year old daughter get over the fear of being around the noise and sparks. I covered her with my gear and she will at least watch me up close. She likes wood work more.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:27 PM
Designer & Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooteK View Post
That's awesome. I'm a little behind. Still trying to help my 9 year old daughter get over the fear of being around the noise and sparks. I covered her with my gear and she will at least watch me up close. She likes wood work more.
My daughter at almost 26yrs old was never much for the metal work either. But give her a saw, router and drill and she can build most anything, after she's drawn it up in CAD.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:03 AM
Junior Fabricator

Awesome pics. Looks like the little dude's having a blast. Way to go!