Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > Torches and Torch

Torches and Torch Plasma? Oxy? Which one? How do you use them?

Torches and Torch Plasma? Oxy? Which one? How do you use them?

Old 02-02-2011, 11:33 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
If you send me an email, I will attach the picture. I don't have your email address and it would not let me put attachment in personal message.
My email is grant@jackalopefab.com

Thanks, Grant
You got mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterKraft View Post
Scootek, that stuff looks awesome to me. I think 45$ would be a good price but like you say it's pretty much what they will pay. Have you kept track of your income from the table alone, curious to your ROI.
In the 3 and a half months or what ever its been Im almost at 2k. After this weekend I should be past it. I have had very little time to run it, and the orders are just now coming steady. I had to get some parts out and let the word of mouth do its thing. Ive had mostly shop signs and artwork. I have some cool stuff coming up, I just started the layering thing on a few projects to give depth. Ill get some pics up later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock4XFab View Post
I have both the Invoice and price list... I will email it to Andy...
Thanks Scott.

Last edited by ScooteK; 02-02-2011 at 11:56 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:41 PM
Master Fabricator

Never got an email from you. It is not a pressing thing by any means. Don't even bother. It sounds like you have some work lined up and don't need to be messing with petty $hit like this anyway ;-)

Thanks for the offer though.

Grant
Old 02-04-2011, 02:52 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
Never got an email from you. It is not a pressing thing by any means. Don't even bother. It sounds like you have some work lined up and don't need to be messing with petty $hit like this anyway ;-)

Thanks for the offer though.

Grant

No way Grant. I would be happy to cut for you. Check your PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:59 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootek View Post
Sounds like he has spent alot of money on other methods when he could have been making money with one of these machines. This machine would pay for itself fast.
Ah he got the electric eye used and quite cheap. It works pretty good for me others cant quite get it especially him. He has a hard time grasping the fact that if you want a shape with a hole in it you have to cut the inside before the outside or it doesn't work. Ive been pushing to get a torchmate but hes been pretty distracted and quite a pain in the rear to talk to for about 6 months. Since he just bought a new building and we are trying to relocate but haven't been able to due to work load. Now were running basically 2 shops that are 5 miles from each other. I think during the move a bit of sabotage will help cause.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:18 AM
Master Fabricator

Does anyone know if the torchmate height controll will handle cutting corrigated metal? I have to make a bid for 2000, 6 inch holes. I need to know if it will accuratly and safely perform this task. Would that put any strain or excesive wear on the unit? If it will handle this then I must figure out a price thats going to sway them from using a holesaw. Yikes! There about a 2 foot square sheet with 2 six inch holes per sheet. Would like to land this job, but not sure if it will do it properly.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:29 AM

Can't realy say about the Torchmate THC.. I know the one supplied with my CandCNC is suppose too. My assumption would be yes, I would bet that TM would lend some help in getting you setup..

http://rock4xfabrication.com
1-847-672-9653
1-847-544-1823
Old 02-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Master Fabricator

I have been searching the web for info and found a quote from Jim a year and a half ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim
The majority of THC's do not have a fast enough correction (slow z axis) in order to handle high speed cutting on material such as corrugated roofing.....the Hypertherm THC's will work. Like plasma....not all thc's are created equal! Often....you get what you pay for.

Jim
It seems I have questions when TM is closed. Im wanting to try this today. I am thinking if I turn everything way slow for a test run that might be safe? Its an expensive unit but my curiosity is overwelming.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:19 PM

I know there is a Video on Dynatorch web site showing it done.. One of the things that sold me. But I did not get the dynatorch but did get the same THC but I still think you need to have it dialed in perfect or crash the torch.

Shoot me that email so I can send over the Excell files to you today

rock4xfabricationinc@comcast.net

1-847-672-9653
1-847-544-1823
Old 02-05-2011, 07:25 PM
Master Fabricator

Well it can be done. I dont have the best settings, but I made it work. I started with a 4 inch voltage line speed test going with the grain. Then repeated this test again and again clocking the material a little each time until I got it to go against the grain. I had to increase the voltage for the height control to get it to stand off a bit. Its jumpy when it cycles up and down. I dont think by its movement that it was intended for this. Its not smooth at all. 40amp tip, at 20 amps, 115 volts, 45 ipm, pierce .19, inital cut .14.

Uneven dross. I havent cut 24 gauge before, or corrugated. But it worked, I guess...

Old 02-05-2011, 09:34 PM
Junior Fabricator

I heard that someone was trying to cut corrugated. Our Torchmate AVHC has adjustable sensitivity. The settings can be changed in the control panel. I am the wrong one to tell you how to increase the sensitivity though. The default sensitivity settings are pretty middle of the road. By tweaking the settings you can smooth out the movements dramatically. If you are cutting thick plate then you don't want that sensitivity because plate consistency varies. Also remember that technically the thickness of the material you are cutting is changing throughout the cut because sometimes you are blowing straight through and other times you are cutting at an angle. That makes dross control pretty tough.

If you call in on Monday then one of the techs can show you how to change these advanced AVHC settings. It is not something we recommend unless you are trying to do something like cut corrugated.

Bill

Last edited by Torchmate; 02-05-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:11 PM

Very nice Andy...Glad you got it to work.... I have been playing with mine a little more the past day or so.. Once I got my drawing done with no time to spare.. I cut this tonight. I will be taken it to the Super bowl party tomorrow with me. I am not a Greenbay fan but acouple friends of mine are, besides these may sell like hot cakes LOL
This is not perfect but considering it is realy the first thing I have cut other then speed and cut condition test, i am pretty happy.

I got like a serated edge, I think maybe speed. 90ARC volts .190 pierce .130 cut 40 amp 90ipm

Here is a little Biohazard ornament..

1-847-672-9653
1-847-544-1823
Old 02-06-2011, 01:14 AM
Master Fabricator

Thanks for the response Bill. Im glad to hear there is adjustment for this as Im trying to get this bid. Dross is not an issue for this aplication. These penetrations will be sealed by another part. I will give them a call during the week. I have other questions reguarding this type of usage aswell.

Looks good Scott! Real good for the first cuts. They just get better from here as your learn your machine and slowly dial it in to your liking. Hope they win.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Master Fabricator

What do you think Grant.

18 inch tall. 12 inch wide. 1/8 thick? You say its going on a project with a nice paint job, I got a scrap piece of stainless about that size in 1/8 too.

Last edited by ScooteK; 02-06-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:49 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootek View Post
What do you think Grant.

18 inch tall. 12 inch wide. 1/8 thick? You say its going on a project with a nice paint job, I got a scrap piece of stainless about that size in 1/8 too.

Hell yeah! That looks 1000x better than I would have imagined. Please go ahead and cut that bastard out! I love it. Send me a pm or email with your mailing address or how you wanna be paid. I will reply with my address.

Again, THANKS a LOT!! Awesome job being able to maintain that much detail. I never would have thought you could do that!!!

Thanks! Grant
Old 02-06-2011, 05:02 PM
Master Fabricator

Damn!~!! Thats a good lookin "psycho" Bunny. Any chance of getting a copy of your DXF file? very creative and ultra cool.
Bob
Old 02-06-2011, 05:49 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbeckett View Post
Damn!~!! Thats a good lookin "psycho" Bunny. Any chance of getting a copy of your DXF file? very creative and ultra cool.
Bob
Thats up to Grant I guess, I dont have a problem with that.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:15 PM
Master Fabricator

Old 02-06-2011, 06:17 PM
Master Fabricator

It wouldn't bother me a single bit.

I think everyone should display one ;-)

Grant

p.s. I just noticed the final product! AWESOME!! I really dig this. Again, great job and take your time with shipping.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Master Fabricator

That's one mean arse Bunny.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Master Fabricator

Well as part of my post cutting inspection and maint. check, I noticed a horrible thing. This is why we all check the condition of our tools before and after use. Im glad I cought this before it got worse. I will have to contact TM to see what they advise for me to do. I already think I will replace the bearing that was grinding. Im concerned I may have damaged other components that I havent seen.