Go Back OFN Forums > Badland Buggy Group > Drivetrain

Drivetrain Badland Buggy Drivetrain

Drivetrain Badland Buggy Drivetrain

Old 01-18-2010, 12:25 AM
Fabricator

Jeep FYI

I learned a valuable lesson on the many broken Jeep quest's I have entailed thus far in my short life......Anything that can happen will happen, A month ago I was on my way to an emergency in Orlando and was motoring down the highway at the speed limit mind, when all of a sudden my poor little 2.5 starts losing power, and then came the rattling, so my first thought was its running hot? no because I just recently installed a brand new radiator and cooling system, so then I noticed the oil pressure is gone! Wow! I just did an oil change......so I pull off and have my buddy come and tow it home, Well the next day I investigated the damage and noted that only the number 1 rod bearing had any damage at all, so The oil pump must have took a poop, so I jump on the net and start looking up parts: rod bearings 25 bucks, oil pan gasket 37 bucks, oil pump.....85 dollars! whoa....but wait! whats this? An oil pump rebuild kit for 23 bucks!?? Oh shoot thats the way Im a goin! So I gather all the goodies and take out the old pump and get ta work....I take it all apart and change out all the required innards that comes with the kit 2 gears a spring and a small metal plunger.....cool, I get it all back together and put the brand new purolator filter on, fill it with oil, and then I fire it off............Imagine this now, it cranks over sputters like its running on one cylinder, makes a squeaking noise and POOF! it starts running smooth and the oil pressure drops to zero..... I shut it down, go outside, and to my dismay...every drop of oil that was in it is now on the ground and the gasket on the filter was hanging out of the side.........normally I would stretch this out and make the readers suffer but this is a bit of good info for any type of vehicle owner......the bad part was that I thought it was my fault and that I didnt put the filter on right, causing the gasket to pop out...not poaying mind of the way it ran before hand.....so I did the dumb thing and got more oil, put the gasket back on the filter and threaded it back down and tightened it....okay, lets try this again.....VROOM, sputter sput POOF.....another gallon of oil on the ground......after 2 days of staring at it in my driveway, I decided instead of setting it on fire or trading it off, I said well I will give it another chance.....I pull the pan off, and take off the pump.....upon disassembling the pump I notice that the little cup and spring that I put in didnt move.......at all............................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .....................................so.......109 dollars later for a new oil pump, and the 23 bucks for the rebuild kit,and 40 dollars worth of oil, 9.99 for the filter, and 37 for the pan gasket........it cranks up just fine now.........to make a long story even longer...when I was rebuilding the pump I didnt realize how fragile that cup and spring was before installing and not cleaning the deposits out of the bore that it slid into, and bending the little cup, tends to make an oil pump have ALOT OF DAM PRESSURE!!!!! LESSON LEARNED.......just because you are trying to get out things the cheap way doesnt mean it is better......
Old 01-18-2010, 01:11 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratchet View Post
LESSON LEARNED.......just because you are trying to get out things the cheap way doesnt mean it is better......
MMMMM... there's that 'Cheap word again' I desperately preach not to use ...

Dog...
Old 01-18-2010, 10:55 AM
Fabricator

So true my friend....so true, but if there is one thing I have learned...it is the old saying....."STOP F!#@$&% AROUND AND DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!"