Go Back OFN Forums > Badland Buggy Group > Drivetrain

Drivetrain Badland Buggy Drivetrain

Drivetrain Badland Buggy Drivetrain

Old 02-14-2015, 07:09 PM
Junior Fabricator

Looking for opinion on lightweight buggy and dana 35

Hi newbie to site, very long time lurker. Love the builds that happen on here and glad that it doesn't too rude on here like other forums.
Anyhow, a little bench racing question for you'll, I'm hopping to start a little buggy project using a cheap ZJ I picked up with a 5.2 in it. Kinda looking to build a extremely short wheelbase that sorta has the look or feel of a mighty mite 151A1, Crosley mini jeep or ford's junior jeep prototype. I'm always lurking on a British off road forum called Difflock for ideas since they build a lot of stuff similar to what I'm thinking. Anyhow, what I am really looking for is about keeping the dana 35 that came with my ZJ. Tires are probably not going to be bigger then 29"-31", there will be a locker and I'm keep the V8 pretty stock. What do you think about a dana 35 used in this application?
Old 02-14-2015, 09:11 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by welder/wrench View Post
Hi newbie to site, very long time lurker. Love the builds that happen on here and glad that it doesn't too rude on here like other forums.
Anyhow, a little bench racing question for you'll, I'm hopping to start a little buggy project using a cheap ZJ I picked up with a 5.2 in it. Kinda looking to build a extremely short wheelbase that sorta has the look or feel of a mighty mite 151A1, Crosley mini jeep or ford's junior jeep prototype. I'm always lurking on a British off road forum called Difflock for ideas since they build a lot of stuff similar to what I'm thinking. Anyhow, what I am really looking for is about keeping the dana 35 that came with my ZJ. Tires are probably not going to be bigger then 29"-31", there will be a locker and I'm keep the V8 pretty stock. What do you think about a dana 35 used in this application?
I think that with and Educated throttle foot and tires under 33" tall you should be fine.
That's what I think
E

Old 02-14-2015, 10:27 PM
Junior Fabricator

Thanks entropy! Hopefully I can get started this spring and have some pictures posted.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:37 AM
Master Fabricator

As Entropy has said,it's really up to you,I've seen 2 different vehicles with 30/35's in our club,one with 4.0 and never got a full day out of it the other with 5.9 and I only ever seen it break once and that I reckon was a badly fitted R&P..for there size they are strong enough,if you can keep your build as light as possible and control red mist then no probs im sure
Old 02-15-2015, 11:45 AM
Junior Fabricator

Yeah, lightweight is the goal. If you look up anyone of those three "mini jeeps" there basically utv. I mean a 31" tire will look big on a mighty mite with only a 71" wheelbase. It could and probably end up a little longer in wheelbase to package it but we'll see.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:58 AM
Junior Fabricator

You'll need a gentle foot with a D35 behind a V8 with any substantial tire on it. Here's what happened to my D35 with a 4.0 turning 31's in a mostly street driven/mild off-road TJ.

Easy enough to replace, but a bit of a pain in the ass when it leaves you stuck.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:54 PM
Junior Fabricator

Yeah, not planning dropping much money into the dana 35 other then a drop-in locker just because of its reputation. Since the buggy will weight far less then a YJ, TJ or even a samurai, I figured I'd throw it out there and see what people would think. I wouldn't dare build a dana 35 in anything that there found in. I also figured I could save a buck on custom driveshaft by shortening/keep-in-phase on my own. I'm also not dumb to idea of a trip to a pick-a-part for a 8.25", yota 8" or a 8.8. Mostly playing a juggling match in my head until the snow is off the ground since I'm working partly out of a small shed and outside.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:42 AM
Master Fabricator

Weighing less than a Samurai is going to be tough. I think a V8, trans, transfer case, two axles and a seat weigh more than a Sammy. lol