Go Back OFN Forums > Badland Buggy Group > Drivetrain

Drivetrain Badland Buggy Drivetrain

Drivetrain Badland Buggy Drivetrain

Old 02-10-2014, 10:35 AM
Master Fabricator

Stock, Budget rebuild (Xtreme Off-Road)…?

I caught Xtreme Off-Road's (Extreme 4x4's) Dirt Cheap Fun where Ian is attempting to build a capable wheeler out of a turbo powered '86 Toyota Pickup for around 5k.

What caught my attention in the first episode is the idea of doing a budget, stock rebuild using a rebuild kit from Rock Auto.

The engine rebuild basically consisted of new timing set, oil pump, rings, bearings, and pistons; using the original rods and honing the cylinders.

My question is, just how feasible is a rebuild like this?

I have 3, count ‘em THREE, 258’s for my CJ-7 in my garage that all need rebuilds for one reason or another (one has severe blow-by, one has a knock in the bottom end, the other I have never heard run).

Of I could get away with a $300-$400 as opposed to a $1200-$1500 crate motor or who-knows-how-much money in machine shop and all new parts costs, that would certainly be more feasible.

What are your thoughts?
(Moderators, if this belongs in the Ian's designs section, please feel free to move)
Old 02-10-2014, 11:54 AM
Master Fabricator

It depends on what you start with. If you've got a motor that just has excessive blow by, those cheap kits are good. Get the block bored and honed, crank polished and your ready to go.

I toured a local high quantity re-builder years ago (Grooms in Nashville, TN) and saw what goes into a mass produced rebuild. Every single motor gets this stuff done.

Block gets baked, shot peened, magnafluxed, bored, honed, align honed, square decked, cam bearings, freeze plugs
The crank gets ground if needed, polished, straightened and balanced
The rods are straightened (nobody else does this), sized, new hardware and pin fit if floating.
Heads get baked, shot peened, new guides, seats if needed, valve job, springs, seals, decked
Everything is assembled with new hardware, gaskets, new oil pump and run on a run in stand to check oil pressure and vibration.

If you had to get all that done by a local machine shop it would cost twice what it costs from a big re-builder. So, they are a value when you compare the two fairly. When you see a cheap rebuild, it's only cheap because half this labor doesn't get done.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:06 PM
Master Fabricator

That's kind of the issue…

There is really only one good shop, locally.
And they want to focus on high end applications.
Therefore their prices are steep.

The Jeep has sat for the last 2 seasons, because I can't find a decent used motor. And I can't justify the cost of a complete shop rebuild. This is why Ian's rebuild caught my attention. But I guess I won't know if I can get away with a rebuild like that without inspecting the cylinders.

I've been told that the high-volume rebuilders out there (Jasper, ATK, etc) don't really take the time to do them right. They just crank them out the door...
Old 02-10-2014, 05:13 PM
Master Fabricator

I would call it a refurbish rather than rebuild. I've done it a couple of times and had good luck. I also checked the bore on a rebuilt master when I was taking a diesel mech course and it was way out of spec [30 years ago tho].

Richard