Go Back OFN Forums > Badland Buggy Group > Drivetrain

Drivetrain Badland Buggy Drivetrain

Drivetrain Badland Buggy Drivetrain

Old 03-03-2010, 08:18 PM
Master Fabricator

"Thick" Ring and Pinion Vs. "Non-Thick" ?

About ready to order my gear sets, whats the pro's and con's versus using "thick" gear sets vs. not using them. I see it says that the thick gear sets use the 4.10 and down carrier... (highlighted in the pic)... but is there a major con that I should look out for and stay away from this? I already have a 4.10 and down carrier so if there is no problem with thick gear sets then why not right?

Old 03-03-2010, 08:26 PM
Master Fabricator

If you have a 4.10 or numerically lower carrier then you need the "thick" gear. The standard gears will not mesh right, or probably at all.

I would make a phone call to Randy's or some other gear vendor of your choice rather than ordering over the web. A quick explanation of what you have and they should make sure you get the right gears.

Three Willy\'s Wagons in various states of rust
Old 03-03-2010, 08:50 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joescj5 View Post
If you have a 4.10 or numerically lower carrier then you need the "thick" gear. The standard gears will not mesh right, or probably at all.

I would make a phone call to Randy's or some other gear vendor of your choice rather than ordering over the web. A quick explanation of what you have and they should make sure you get the right gears.
I understood that to use the 4.10 and numerically lower carrier is compatible with the numerically higher number of gears if they are thick gears, but my question was are there any disadvantages of a thick gear versus a regular gear.. i.e. strength of the gears themselves.

Last edited by Chocflip201; 03-03-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:11 PM
Master Fabricator

there's no difference in strength. Its the same size teeth and the same cut. I say run it

The thick gear is only if you want to run say 5.38's on a 4.10 and down carrier. That's all their for. If your running 4.10 or higher gears on a 4.10 or higher carrier then a thick set will not fit.

BTW a thick gear set is the only way to go if you need to use it. Ring gear spacers are junk IMO.

Edit: I reread your OP and realized that i answered a question that you never really asked. I will leave it up In case It might help someone else.

Last edited by shaggy10000; 03-03-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:02 PM
Master Fabricator

Hmm I've never heard of ring spacers. But they sound like something that is ghetto rigged/booty fabbed, cool thanks shaggy, I'll order up a set of thick gears then.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Master Fabricator

Ring gear spacers were the shit,back in the day. Because no one use to make a thick gear set. I use to run 12 bolt under my Camaro. 12 bolts had 4 different carriers, at one time I had 3 different carriers. I would NOT use a spacer today.