Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > Torches and Torch

Torches and Torch Plasma? Oxy? Which one? How do you use them?

Torches and Torch Plasma? Oxy? Which one? How do you use them?

Old 09-15-2012, 11:02 PM
Master Fabricator

comes down to it, whatever size you get, you will find a job that you will have to turn down because of table size issues.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:16 AM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txchevy18 View Post
I built one from a percision plasma kit with candcnc controls and it works really well but has some short coming. Of course a few months later they released a new gantry kit that is very well desiged and think it takes care of almost all of my issues with rigidity. I would hesitate to buy the HD kit. Ron is a great guy check it out. He also works with Bulltear on their gantry and turn key setups from what I've been told.

http://www.precisionplasmallc.com/My...les/Page5.html
We worked with Ron on the V rail systems which worked ok a while back. What happened to V rails is the bearing suppliers went strait to the toilet with quality. Even routing on a V rail system wont allow you any kind of production quality for very long. You want to push run and walk away without destroying a torch or worrying about your machine missing steps or having issues. The new stuff is 100% ours and was built from the perspective of what the operator/owner wants not that of building with the cheapest components. Everything now is top tier with no short cuts. You want cheap crap its all out there for sure.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:07 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyFromOlympia View Post
comes down to it, whatever size you get, you will find a job that you will have to turn down because of table size issues.
Truethat. but I don't plan on doing anything but in-house cutting so I'll be wishing for bigger in 2-weeks instead of 1

Old 09-19-2012, 07:19 PM
Master Fabricator

Hmmm...
http://youtu.be/-gSIpeZckjw

Old 09-20-2012, 02:30 AM
Master Fabricator

that guy spams the crap out of the seattle craigslist, I'm sure he will swing you a deal
Old 09-20-2012, 12:03 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyFromOlympia View Post
that guy spams the crap out of the seattle craigslist, I'm sure he will swing you a deal
I never look at the Seattle CL so I would not know, I tripped over that in researching elsewhere on this web-thing.
I will wait to see the water table
E

Old 09-20-2012, 01:46 PM
Junior Fabricator

not trying to push, but here is a link to my craigslist ad, there is a link to a video of my machine cutting out a 1/4" thick bracket. The video was done on my iphone, so it is not that great...

http://easttexas.craigslist.org/tls/3250341613.html

Thanks, Karl
Old 09-22-2012, 05:33 PM
Master Fabricator

I have a Dynatorch 5 x10. Love it, I bought the xl8 system and built my own water table and frame.
If I was to do it again I would build water table separate from m rails. I would also put my water table on rails that way you could push/pull the water table out to load then push back to cut.
Dynatorch has a new system out that is real nice called their super B.
It is offered in a 4x4 system and a 4x8.
Software is excellent and reals easy to us.
Dynatorch also just moved to Alabama and are located right outside of huntsville al. Check them out. I can post some pics later
Old 11-18-2012, 03:46 AM
Fabricator

I have a Arclight Arcpro 12000 (http://arclightcnc.com/arc-pro-12000-5x10.html) with router, tube notcher and plate marker. It has a cut area of over 5'x10'.

Haven't used it much yet but so far it has impressed me with build quality and tech support for the user issues I had.

I did have a Torchmate but got sick or the ever increasing cost of bits and the reduction in tech support who had a clue.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:33 AM
Master Fabricator

Been 7+/-years, time enough for a bump . . .
What'z new?

Old 05-15-2019, 10:38 PM
Junior Fabricator

IF your building now the simple solution now would be a MASSO contoller. There are a few options out there but the MASSO being self contained no PC Required and post processors for most of the common cad programs and sheet cam make the contoller hard to beat for a production enviroment, just plug a monitor Keyboard and mouse into the controller and no worry about having a parallel port or BOB

For the budget hobby side, Like i built, i went with an Arduino running Grbl. Cheap TB6560 motor controllers and Steppers and timing belts and pullys. Using V Slot aluminium profiles for linear rails with open builds wheels on a steel table was quick to set up and cheap. All purchased from Aliexpress or Ebay and had the whole thing up and running for under $600 Australian and a weekends worth of wiring. Plus with a 3d printed adaptor i can chuck a cheap ebay spindle on there and do 3d routing of wood or engraving.
Old 09-26-2019, 10:33 AM
Fabricator

i too have been looking into one for 5-6 years now,and am finally ready to buy. (at least the wife said i am) i thought i had it narrowed down to either

plasmacam
or burn table

now jumping back into the search, im not hearing much good about either of the first two and other names come into place.

dynatourch has come up in a few different forms as well as arclight, cyrious and wrightcnc looks promising.

Im a hobbyist looking to make wall art and man cave stuff for friends and family and maybe enough cash to help support the hobby. i need to be able to convert custom or hand drawn things into files. i want a 4x8 simply so i dont have to index a full sheet.

im almost at a loss. i liked it better when i was naive and simply assumed tourchmate was the only option,there are so many now i cant tell one form the other and they seem to vary from $8000 to $17000......

to summarize my rant
want a 4x8 table
shipped fully assembled (i dont want to build)
a program with as easy as possible ability to scan or trace sketches
rugged enough to be used as a hobby machine,no production here

or do i just buy one of those table top waterjets that facebook keeps sending me ads for????
Old 09-26-2019, 11:57 AM
Master Fabricator

I have also been looking. I am wanting a 5 x 10 table also. The problem is
I am wanting a better than hobby grade table with a hypertherm 125.

Steve
Old 09-28-2019, 11:18 AM
Designer & Builder

Full sheets require some kind of equipment to move them around and space to store them. The JD2 tables look well built as do the StarLab.
Old 09-29-2019, 01:58 PM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.DesJardin View Post
Full sheets require some kind of equipment to move them around and space to store them. The JD2 tables look well built as do the StarLab.
ill do some looking into them. i have the space and equipment to move full sheets. im lacking in the confidence and experience of autocad type programs.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:53 PM
Fabricator

Anything steel 11 gauge and under, 4x8 you can move by yourself pretty easily, provided you can lift at lest 100lbs, not that you have to lift it just drag to table and slid in. Thicker and you need a hoist, forklift, or helper. Biggest mistake I see guys that do metal art is cutting stuff out of to thick a metal 80% of what I do I use 14 gauge, its cheaper and easier to handle vs 11 gauge (1/8'').

You won't get rich cutting metal art, everyone in their mother is doing it now pretty much. You're not making money till you get back what you paid for equipment and it takes a while accounting for cost of goods etc. Alot of people don't understand that, they make few hundred on stuff and think the cash will come rolling in. If you sell a sign for $200 you don't make $200 you might make 10-15% of that once you figure in labor, paint/powder, cost of metal, equipment, power use, everything. Biggest issue for me as coating signs. I painted at first but to way to long to dry and scratch if you looked at it funny. So I started having them powder coated which was great but it cut into profits so now I powdercoat them in house way cheaper and quicker. So do your homework.

I have a torchmate 2 4x8, I went turn key as I needed it asap. I have used it daily for last 4 years. Its a POS, it works, but have to baby it, fix it, and watch it. Its the TM2 so its the 80/20 rail and more of a hobbyist machine. It works for what I need, but I plan to go 5x10 as I have out grown it so may go star labs and keep this one as a spare and help cut stuff quicker.

Now the new torchmates come full assembled and are better quality/design but are expensive. For the price $$$$$$ you pay for and making metal art work will take you years to even break even on it. And selling to friends and family will only last a few years and that will dry up. I been doing it for almost 5 years and its a tuff business.

I run a hypertherm PM65. Consumables last a long time and are affordable. Works great if you're not cutting anything over 1/2'' steel and 3/8'' AL its a waste of money getting an 85 or 125. If cutting thicker AL i would go 85/125 then. Its nice to have the higher amps but in reality figure out how you're getting a 1400lb full sheet to even cut in it before wasting your money on something you may not even beable to use.

The Torchmate cad is pretty easy and most stuff you can download and the program will trace it which is most I others will do too I assume. I usually just scan images into my PC with a scaner then import and trace if its hand drawn. Sometimes I can just trace a picture of something.

Whatever you buy go and see one in action, fly drive whatever. Just like everyone making metal everyone is building CnC tables too some are horrible so do some research and get your hands on one before buying. I would have went with someone else had I actually put my hands on my TM2 before hand. Is worth it.

Last edited by Bo185; 10-01-2019 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:10 PM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambled View Post
I have also been looking. I am wanting a 5 x 10 table also. The problem is
I am wanting a better than hobby grade table with a hypertherm 125.

Steve
I would look at starlabs pretty nice table design overall.

What is the max thickness you need to cut? The 125 is nice but expensive. If you're cutting alot over 1'' I would go high def plasma.

Last edited by Bo185; 10-01-2019 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:31 AM
Fabricator

so what program are you using for "tracing"? this is the biggest problem i am having is, figuring out what is available and then learning it.

solid works is very recommended but seems to be way overkill for what i need as well as way over priced for what i am expecting from it. there is gobs of free cad programs but most seem to be geared to either architecture or 3d cad.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:44 PM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biohazard View Post
so what program are you using for "tracing"? this is the biggest problem i am having is, figuring out what is available and then learning it.

solid works is very recommended but seems to be way overkill for what i need as well as way over priced for what i am expecting from it. there is gobs of free cad programs but most seem to be geared to either architecture or 3d cad.
I use TMCad its a third party cad that torchmate put's their name on I can remember who make it. Its stupid easy. "2d cad" is really not that hard once you learn were all the buttons are basically and what does what. I am sure mine will do more but it works for what I do. I am sure there are "free" programs out there I just use what mine came with.

What ever table you're looking at just ask for a demo of the cad they sell and look it over. I know torchmate had training class they give for money, but most of it is on youtube. So find the cad your offered and see if there is training for free online.