Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > Metal Forming Tools

Metal Forming Tools Air Shaping and Planishing Hammers, English Wheels, Shrinking/Stretching Machine, Metal Formers, Bead Forming Machines, Sheet Metal Brakes

Metal Forming Tools Air Shaping and Planishing Hammers, English Wheels, Shrinking/Stretching Machine, Metal Formers, Bead Forming Machines, Sheet Metal Brakes

Old 01-02-2012, 12:40 PM
Fabricator

Sorry, rharriman, but IE can't open either URL.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:48 PM
Fabricator

Made my own dimple die

Last edited by racer-john; 01-02-2012 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Duplication
Old 01-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Fabricator

Made my own dimple die

Sorry, rharriman, but IE says it can't open either URL.
Could you email me the Chapter 2.pdf at racer-john@hotmail.com?
TIA
John E
Old 03-04-2012, 01:41 AM
Junior Fabricator

Plans for making Dimple dies

I seen you guys have posted some drawings a few years ago but for some reason i cant get them to load now. so if anyone has them or can repost them that would be great.... looking to make some
Thanks
Old 04-04-2012, 02:38 AM
Junior Fabricator

Just been reading this thread the last day or to and made a dimple die today. 1.122 hole to dimple holes in.250 plate and it worked real nice. just used 1018 and it didn't mark it up so i think it'll do for limited number of holes. I have 100 ton press at work thats very persuasive when pressing things
Old 05-26-2012, 07:00 PM
Junior Fabricator

What would the angle and length be of flaring 1/8 plate?

OD 3/4 male die is 3/4", flare angle is 30* for a distance of 1/4 inch. Material for male die would be. 1 1/8 OD
Do these numbers look right?
Old 12-18-2012, 12:24 AM
Fabricator

this is great and i would love to build a set. alot of the pictures have not been maintained and are gone do anyone have the drawing. CAD/solid works/peice of paper with messurments. lol. i did see some but not being a machinest makes it difficult and my machinest here at work said that if i could get some clear drawings he would build me a set. this sure would help me out on my build. thanks guys
Old 12-18-2012, 04:54 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperperformance View Post
this is great and i would love to build a set. alot of the pictures have not been maintained and are gone do anyone have the drawing. CAD/solid works/peice of paper with messurments. lol. i did see some but not being a machinest makes it difficult and my machinest here at work said that if i could get some clear drawings he would build me a set. this sure would help me out on my build. thanks guys
Same here if someone has something they can post without too much bother thanks
Old 12-01-2016, 01:38 AM
Junior Fabricator

Hi for some reason your pictures aren't coming through. Can you repost? I am making a set on solidworks and will cnc machine them. Have you seen an oval dimple? I have been thinking of making one with fillets instead of chamfers.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:39 AM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by patooyee View Post
OK, here they are. Somone LOOK AT THESE AND VERIFY DIMENSIONS PLEASE as these are not meant to be the difinitive "machine to" specs. I have never made these before and am myself looking for crtitque on their design. Everything is designed with a 35% angle in relation to the piece of plate that would be getting dimpled with "clearance" dimensions calulated using Graham's formula for 3/16 thick material. Someday if I need to do thinner I may draw some more up.

Everything is 1:1 scale to print on a piece of 8.5x11 paper.

1"

1.5"

2"

2.5"

3"

J. J.

PS: When making yours you may want to adjust the ultimate OD of the bigger dies as I just made mine 5.5" because that is the material I have and it will save me some machine time to not turn it down.

PPS: If design changes are suggested and I change the drawings I will simply overwrite the .jpg file that is on my server and not bother reposting the drawing. Therefore, follow this thread. If something changes, it will be reflected in the original photo.

Hi for some reason your pictures aren't coming through. Can you repost? I am making a set on solidworks and will cnc machine them. Have you seen an oval dimple? I have been thinking of making one with fillets instead of chamfers.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:53 AM
Fabricator

@rider_inc

I'm not seeing any drawings or photos, only a list of numbers. I assume each number (1" , 1.5", etc.) should have a drawing associated with it. I did see the message "Waiting for Patooyee.com . . ." come up, but nothing ever loaded.

Is it perhaps a server permissions problem on your machine?
Old 12-01-2016, 11:20 AM
Master Fabricator

This thread is 4 years old. I haven't noticed patooyee online for a long time.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:31 AM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysFlOoReD View Post
This thread is 4 years old. I haven't noticed patooyee online for a long time.
Yes, but the latest posting that I responded to was posted this morning. Is it an old post that somehow got reloaded mistakenly during server maintenance?

I follow this post as I do plan to make my own set of dimple dies in the near future.

Cheers,
Old 12-01-2016, 02:54 PM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie-S View Post
@rider_inc

I'm not seeing any drawings or photos, only a list of numbers. I assume each number (1" , 1.5", etc.) should have a drawing associated with it. I did see the message "Waiting for Patooyee.com . . ." come up, but nothing ever loaded.

Is it perhaps a server permissions problem on your machine?

I see the numbers and a small representation of pictures. Other pictures on the thread come up without a problem.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:01 PM
Junior Fabricator

Graham, have you seen the oval dimples? Would you make one with a fillet, rounded corner, or would you make it with a straight angle like a chamfer?
Old 12-06-2016, 07:32 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider_inc View Post
Graham, have you seen the oval dimples? Would you make one with a fillet, rounded corner, or would you make it with a straight angle like a chamfer?
Honestly, I have no idea. I've seen those from Mittler Brothers and possibly Rad Rides by Troy...if I remember correctly, I think they make them with a radius instead of a chamfer. I think MB also does triangles and maybe some other shapes. They're not really my style, they tend a little too much toward bling for my taste.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:38 PM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham08 View Post
Honestly, I have no idea. I've seen those from Mittler Brothers and possibly Rad Rides by Troy...if I remember correctly, I think they make them with a radius instead of a chamfer. I think MB also does triangles and maybe some other shapes. They're not really my style, they tend a little too much toward bling for my taste.
I have seen those also. I agree, they are a little cheesy. An oval is as far as I would go. I wonder how a normal dimple would work with a fillet instead of a chamfer. I drew an oval in solidworks, hopefully I will be able to machine it this next week. When my account gets approved I will post some pictures. I took your advice and drew up my 2" dimple for 3/16 aluminum. It was helpful because I knew something was wrong with the clearance when I made a dimple set in solidworks just using the chamfer feature. It isn't as accurate as actually drawing it in 2D first. I just need to track down some 4" stock.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:56 PM
Master Fabricator

If your just forming a chamfer and its a special shape your only going to use a few times form it as a hammer form (i've done this for tail lights in the past)
In alloy all you need is a couple of wooden forms and your away.... I have done simple hammer form returns in up to 3mm plate using formers cut from 10mm plate offcuts