Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Mini Fabrication

Mini Fabrication Mini Choppers, Mini Sandrails....Pint sized anything Fabrication

Mini Fabrication Mini Choppers, Mini Sandrails....Pint sized anything Fabrication

Old 01-11-2010, 03:14 PM
Fabricator

Rotax Pilot Long travel

Now tha I have built my Hydraulic bender and Mill powered Tubing notcher I needed a project to try them out on. Well actually it was this project that promted the builds. lol. I am in the process of streaching one of my Honda Pilot mini buggys. In the process I had to design and build a new roll cage etc. I am replacing the OEM 400cc 2 stroke with a Rotax 700 twin (126 HP)and sled CVT clutching and fox 10" rear shocks and long travel front and rear.
Hear is a link to my project:
http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/m...Pilot%20Build/

Note that the pics are listed from current shots backwards.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:28 PM
Master Fabricator

lol I hate photobuckets new setup, since they updated the site I've struggled to download pics

Nice project... your gona have one very quick toy there

Two things that I noticed first, on your main hoop those two braces one off the roof and the other to the top of the chassi will cause the cage to fold if you take a hit on the front of the roof.... you need to put a brace in from the piont they converge going back to either the back corner where the cage back braces come down to the chassi or to the top of the brace halfway there
The other is your heat sheild on the back of the seat sandwich some rockwool in there and take it further up the seat

Cheers Reece
Old 01-11-2010, 04:57 PM
Fabricator

Yea I plan on doing something in that area when I make my rear shock towers. It will all get tied together then. I was originally going to come off the roof and go right to the were the main hoop meets the frame however it closed the cockpit in to much. I also plan on doing some "X" bracing in the main Hoop. I am waiting on the radiater to determined what. BTW the Pilot uses a similar setup with out the brace going to the top frame rail from that joint and as you say they tend to bend right there and colapse. They are also bolted together with no diagnaols in the front down tubes, roof cross bracing and only 2 short 45s in the main Hoop. All with ERW .062" wall. I am using all .095" DOM . I was on a ride a few years back and watched one of my Buddies do 5 endos and barrel rolls and landed in front of me. I had just turned around after hitting the Endo dip as we call it. The cage came down and cracked his helment and knocked him out cold. He was Damm lucky! The exhaust will actually be farther away from the seat. I also may wrap it. My other Pilots pipe is close and I have not had any issues with it.

Last edited by Odyk; 01-11-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:15 PM
Master Fabricator

Yr's ago I built a copy of the oddessy, used a cut away photo of it as a plan lol so pretty much a direct copy
Was a hell of a lot of fun, apart from the lack of reverse gear motor/box came from a motorbike
Was always concerned about the cage but thought the honda engineers knew more than me, bit scary when you hear story's like that

Will be watching what you do with interest, might even prompt me into building another lol well when I finish some of my other projects

Cheers Reece
Old 01-11-2010, 08:21 PM
Fabricator

Yea nothing like reverse in a Buggy. My first Mini buggy was a 350 Odyssey that I made a water cooled head and long travel. I then made "A" arm supension in the front. Not long after that I bought my first Pilot and never used it again. I ended up trading it for an old beat up Woods Buggy. I actually started the Pilot I am doing now 2 years ago and my current Woddsbuggy build put it on the shelf:

http://woodsbuggy.com/index.php?opti...month&Itemid=8

I had intensions of finishing the Pilot last winter however I decided to replace the VW Turbo motor in the Woodsbuggy with a 2.5 Turbo subaru motor. So I definatly know what you mean by too many projects:

http://www.woodsbuggy.com/index.php?...hp&f=33&t=6013
Old 01-19-2010, 10:22 AM
Fabricator

Weekend Update

Got my rear shock towers done over the weekend. Looking at Radiater and air cleaner placement now. Picture Update:

Old 01-26-2010, 10:38 AM
Fabricator

Weekend progress

Got the radiator and Air Filter mounted over the Weekend. Also made new Acetel Trans mount Bushings.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Fabricator

Weekend updates:
Mocked up a cardboard gas tank so I could weld the mounts on, Modified the Exhaust expansion chamber to fit the application. Ordered a new custom silenser from AAEN today. Did I say welding sheet metal is a pain? Made Tree bar mounts and welded them in. Added "X" bracing on the front. The stock Pilot lower "A" arm section is a poor design in the front and can and will bend on a full weight corner hit. Been there done that.

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm72 ... t%20Build/
Old 02-15-2010, 04:18 PM
Fabricator

Weekend Update

Frame is ready for the powder coater. Got the battery box and the Exhaust system (forgot to take pics)done

Old 02-17-2010, 02:07 PM
Fabricator

The frame is ready for the Powder coater. Will be dropping off at the Sandblaster on friday. Also got my Exhasut completed (no pics of it finished) and the relocated battery box.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:50 PM
Fabricator

Got the frame back from the powder coater over the week end. Ready for assembly now.

Before:

After:

Last edited by Odyk; 03-01-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:41 PM
Junior Fabricator

Ooooh, that's purty! lol Nice work!
Old 03-15-2010, 10:15 AM
Fabricator

Finally got the Trans Clutch shaft done. Had to be a 2 ppiece to get clutch off without removing Trans.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:05 AM
Fabricator

Can't wait to see this thing done. This might have been something that put a hurting on my Drakart.

Tom
Old 03-15-2010, 02:10 PM
Fabricator

Yea and Dammm! we will never know now. Yea thats right you traded the Drak in for a RZR lol.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:06 PM
Fabricator

You could always take a trip across the big pond and find out.

hehe

Tom
Old 03-15-2010, 04:02 PM
Fabricator

Ha Ha I am not that concerned!
Old 03-15-2010, 07:17 PM
Master Fabricator

Man that's looking really nice! I've always had a soft spot for pilots/oddyssey's cause that's how I got started into all of this stuff. I've wanted to build my own version since then.

Griffin

Last edited by stock93; 03-15-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:11 AM
Fabricator

Yea I started with an FL350 Odyssey and no matter what you did with it it still did not equal a Pilot and its potensel. I have another Long travel Pilot with a 500 motor in it that after my wife drove it I did not get it back, go figure. Hense the reason for this build. I took a 2 year sabatical from the Pilot project and build this full sized Buggy.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:05 AM
Fabricator

The required Trans output shaft bearing is discontinued and had to find a replacement for it. I was able get a wider one that required machining .118" of the flange it rides against. The recieved the replacement 17mm wider bearing and installed it. As it turns out there was just enough clearence to install the shifter paw with the bearing in. I trimmed .118" off the shaft to accomadate the wider bearing and all looks good to go. Well with the exception of I am not pleased with the excessive play in the new bearing. My experience with ball bearings is they tend to have a zero to a slight side play in the inner race, however this one allows me to rock the shaft about an 1/8". I also discovered the main shaft seals are discontinued and had to find replacements for them too.

Bearing Installed with shifter Paw clearence

Bearing Installed with shifter Paw clearence

Shaft trimmed down

New Main Shaft replacement seals with 2 options for the right side shown on the left.