Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > General Fabrication

General Fabrication Any Fab that does not fit into another Forum

General Fabrication Any Fab that does not fit into another Forum

Old 02-17-2018, 06:43 PM
Engineer, and Shop Monkey

Convolute Wheels - Question on grades?

Hey folks,

Has anyone worked with con-volute wheels on a grinder/Polisher.

I am in the market to get a pair but I cannot seem to make heads nor Tails of their grading system. I understand Medium/Fine/XFine. But they also seem to throw in a number and letter that make no sense and I cannot seem to find anything on either 3M's or Norton's site to explain the differences.

It seems like they are the greatest thing since sliced bread for deburring and finishing. But they do not go through which wheel is for what.

Any help would be appreciated.

Carl
Old 02-18-2018, 02:25 PM
Master Fabricator

DO you mean like the letters AO (Aluminum Oxide) SC (Silicon Carbide)?

Old 02-18-2018, 02:54 PM
Master Fabricator

What is a convolute wheel? Pics?
Old 02-19-2018, 03:33 PM
Master Fabricator

Lifted from the Norton Site:
"Convolute wheels are formed by wrapping and bonding web material impregnated with abrasives grain and resin bond around a center core."

Old 02-28-2018, 03:18 PM

Check out this add for instance.

https://www.amazon.com/Norton-662610...onvolute+wheel

It lists grit as a 1-9sf. There are also a 1-8sf.

This one.

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Brite-...onvolute+wheel

lists as a 2S CRS

So I have no real clue what wheel to order. It looks like these things can do some really nice finishing. But I cannot seem to locate a place to make sense of their numbering systems.

I have used something similar to the last one from 3m in a 7" hook and loop for rust and paint removal. East wood sells the baker plate and gives you the choice of rust and paint or finishing. The finishing is much thinner and basically a red scotch bite pad with hook and loop. They have a new machine with a 4"wide or so roll. They are pretty good at a lot of finishing on basically smooth metal prior to paint prep.

I have actually seen a shop where they use a finer grit of the 6"x1" wide con volutes to sharpen their wood working tools. Odd shaped spoon carving and draw knives. They kind of look like very fine grinding wheels. But being made of a woven material they do not tend to heat up the metal and draw the temper out of a cutting tool.

I was wondering if any of the machining guys around here had been playing with them. I did see a norton video where they use them to take down a weld with one grit, smooth it with another, and then polish the Stainless with a third. But no luck trying to navigate their site or 3M's to find out information. And if I go to Amazon or eBay you have to know the lingo to figure out what they are offering, as prices vary wildly. I mean $30 to $300 a disk.

Carl
Old 02-28-2018, 04:21 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrogers View Post
Check out this add for instance.

https://www.amazon.com/Norton-662610...onvolute+wheel

It lists grit as a 1-9sf. There are also a 1-8sf.

This one.

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Brite-...onvolute+wheel

lists as a 2S CRS

So I have no real clue what wheel to order. It looks like these things can do some really nice finishing. But I cannot seem to locate a place to make sense of their numbering systems.

I have used something similar to the last one from 3m in a 7" hook and loop for rust and paint removal. East wood sells the baker plate and gives you the choice of rust and paint or finishing. The finishing is much thinner and basically a red scotch bite pad with hook and loop. They have a new machine with a 4"wide or so roll. They are pretty good at a lot of finishing on basically smooth metal prior to paint prep.

I have actually seen a shop where they use a finer grit of the 6"x1" wide con volutes to sharpen their wood working tools. Odd shaped spoon carving and draw knives. They kind of look like very fine grinding wheels. But being made of a woven material they do not tend to heat up the metal and draw the temper out of a cutting tool.

I was wondering if any of the machining guys around here had been playing with them. I did see a norton video where they use them to take down a weld with one grit, smooth it with another, and then polish the Stainless with a third. But no luck trying to navigate their site or 3M's to find out information. And if I go to Amazon or eBay you have to know the lingo to figure out what they are offering, as prices vary wildly. I mean $30 to $300 a disk.

Carl
I took the number pasted it into the Norton Site and...

Bear-Tex Series 1000 SC Fine Grit Non-Woven Convolute Wheel

Scroll down.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:12 PM

Thanks a bunch. There is actually a link to their full catalog in PDF. On it there is a complete explanation of the entire Non-Woven line and what each of hte numbers on the model represent. That is exactly what I needed.

Here is a link to the PDF on the Norton site.

This is a worthwhile thing to hang on to.

https://www.nortonabrasives.com/sga-...d.pdf#page=212

Carl