Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > UTV/Buggy Fabrication

UTV/Buggy Fabrication For all those doing your own fabrication on the Yamaha Rhino and other UTV's

UTV/Buggy Fabrication For all those doing your own fabrication on the Yamaha Rhino and other UTV's

Old 02-03-2020, 06:57 PM
Junior Fabricator

Overly ambitious first time buggy project.

Hello everyone,
I am going to try to build a smaller and less powerful Ariel Nomad type vehicle. I have a lot of questions though.
I have the option of using an Alfa Romeo 33 as a donor car, with a boxer 1.2 engine, or a Fiat 128 1.3. Both engines are carbureted, and they are producing power at high revs, they aren't some kind of torque monsters. The boxer would be mounted longitudinally in the middle with equal length half shafts, and the 1.3 would be transversal, directly over the back wheels with unequal half shafts. Power levels should be similar with a little tune for the fiat.
I am also thinking about using a draw through twin screw supercharger with LPG system, because I already have an LPG system and LPG is high in octane rating so boost wouldn't be a problem. If an Ariel Nomad with 230 hp does 0-100kmh in 3.7 seconds, the lighter buggy with around 100 hp will be plenty for me.
I intend to use the donor cars for the suspension and everything since I am on a tight budget. I can get the cars very cheap, 300 euros for the alfa 33, and 250 for the Fiat 128. Tools and welding aren't a problem, I can do most of the mechanical stuff myself, I have some experience in that.
Last, this is pure youtube learned theory, so tell me what is realistic and what isn't.
What would you use and why?