Go Back OFN Forums > General Discussion > The Lounge

The Lounge Its 5:00 somewhere... This is the area where, after a hard days work, you sit back, relax, and unwind...

The Lounge Its 5:00 somewhere... This is the area where, after a hard days work, you sit back, relax, and unwind...

Old 01-13-2009, 03:21 PM
Site Admin

Should I shoot the horse?

Like many, I also have a POS neighbor (entire family actually).

Long story short.. Like many, including us, they have a horse. This horse gets out at a minimum 4 times a week at night, comes over and eats our hay, trees, salt blocks and just about anything else we have laying around. He is also starting to damage our fences by pushing them in to get to our horses feed.

I understand animals getting out. Ours do about once or twice a year as well, but not every other day. This has been going on for over a year.

We have spoke to the neighbors many times and they don't really seam to care a whole lot. I finally lost it when a couple of nights ago the Mrs comes home and turns her minivan sideways in her driveway to shine their horse that is out again. She walks inside and totally blows off the horse in the yard.

Almost every possible solutions has been gone through, including calling the sheriffs department [I really don't like to use this resource for something as stupid as this]. I am thinking about getting a paint ball gun and unloading on the horse when it is on my property. It may eventually learn not to come over here and it will definitely give the neighbors the word that I am getting very tired of the thing over here.

If they call the sheriff's dept, what are they going to say? "Our horse was at the neighbors and they shot it with a paint ball gun".

What says theOFN?

http://www.BendTechDragon.com

Cris Merry
Phone: 651-257-8715
Cris@bend-tech.com

Old 01-13-2009, 03:27 PM
Master Fabricator

Put up an 8' block wall, thanks what I did!!

or

next time its in your yard, load it in your horse trailer and drive it to the spca and drop it off.

or

get a tazer and go to town!!!

Call the sheriffs dept and ask them about the paint ball gun before using it. Some LEA or coming down hard on paint ball guns sometimes treating them the same as guns as far as assaults go.

Last edited by Scooterinvegas; 01-13-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:29 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterinvegas View Post
Put up an 8' block wall, thanks what I did!!
Around my 10 acers or around a 10 foot hole in the ground?

Cris Merry
Cris@bend-tech.com

Old 01-13-2009, 03:40 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabcam View Post
Around my 10 acers or around a 10 foot hole in the ground?

sounds like you need a moat with alligators and piranha....
Old 01-13-2009, 03:58 PM
Master Fabricator

Cris,
I live in the middle of Texas horse country. We have horses, as do all the neighbors. Around here, the SPCA is pretty serious about taking care of your horses. I have good neighbors, but if I had your problem I would lock the horse up once he's on my property and call the SPCA. I would do this every time he came to visit.

Also, Texas law says that if both property owners sharing a fence have livestock, responsibility for fence maintenance is split. So, I could fix the fence and hand them a bill for half. If they don't pay, I can take them to court.

Also, as a horse owner you should know the best fence is a fence the horse will never touch...HOT WIRE!

I'm certainly not opposed to teaching a horse a lesson or administering corrective training but, I don't think a paintball gun is a good idea. If you want the horse to to learn to dislike your property, a ATV and a lunge whip is the way to go. Run him until he's about to drop every time he comes over. It won't take more than a couple lessons.

Bob
Old 01-13-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badman14 View Post
Cris,
I live in the middle of Texas horse country. We have horses, as do all the neighbors. Around here, the SPCA is pretty serious about taking care of your horses. I have good neighbors, but if I had your problem I would lock the horse up once he's on my property and call the SPCA. I would do this every time he came to visit.

Also, Texas law says that if both property owners sharing a fence have livestock, responsibility for fence maintenance is split. So, I could fix the fence and hand them a bill for half. If they don't pay, I can take them to court.

Also, as a horse owner you should know the best fence is a fence the horse will never touch...HOT WIRE!

I'm certainly not opposed to teaching a horse a lesson or administering corrective training but, I don't think a paintball gun is a good idea. If you want the horse to to learn to dislike your property, a ATV and a lunge whip is the way to go. Run him until he's about to drop every time he comes over. It won't take more than a couple lessons.

Bob
what he said^^
Old 01-13-2009, 04:15 PM
Master Fabricator

I would definitely check with the police before using the paint-ball gun, but I would use a cattle prod to get my point across.
I would also make a few more calls to the police for two reasons: 1) The squeaky wheel gets the grease. 2) If you have to kill the horse or injure it, there will be a record at the police station showing a pattern of this horse getting out and causing problems.
Your only other choice would be to take them to court and sue them for damages and lost goods. This option is a pain and would take up too much of your time.
I have used a pellet gun on dogs, with satisfactory results.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:26 PM
Master Fabricator

Put an ad in the paper with their phone number offering the horse for sale. Cheap.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:40 PM
Master Fabricator

If you can catch it the problem is solved peacefully and without trauma to the animal just call animal control, done!
Secondly, in my state a "pet" which is all that a horse is, has more rights them a human. A Horse is a dumb animal and so protected, it is a pet and so protected AND it is "Private Property" and so harming it carries a criminal penalty... at the felony level.
All of this was learned when my wife was attacked by the local crackhead's pit bulls. We do not have a dog in the household any more and I doubt we ever will again, but that is another story.
I recommend that any shooting be done with a silent smooth bore...
from a BBL and firing pin that you don't mind melting... Oh and catch your brass and melt it too

Anyhoot in most states there is a regulatory agency that covers the environment and the pollution there of. Again in most states it is specifically against the law for a person to have their private property leak a biohazardous material upon your land...
You have to be careful but photographic evidence that positively ID's both the Horse, and location in addition to the time stamp of the photo could just do the trick...

Last edited by entropy; 01-13-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:28 PM
Master Fabricator

Agreed with most of what was said above. I would stay away from the paint ball idea. It leaves evidence, and as someone else mentioned animal cruelty is a felony in most states, if not all. A BB gun would work great untill the horse realizes that your not out there with it at 2 am. It will just wait untill night. They are dumb and smart at the same time. I would keep calling aminal control or whichever governing agency you have around there. Like someone else said ''the squeaky wheel". The sad part is that Its going to be a pain no matter what because your going to have to do all the work to get this resolved. Good luck.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:15 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryHinsz View Post
I have used a pellet gun on dogs, with satisfactory results.
As have I . However, with a horse I would follow some of the above suggestions concerning calling animal control or locking the horse up until animal control comes.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:19 PM
Fabricator

You may also want to think about putting an electric fence on top of your fence (with insulators of course).We have used them in the past and use them now to keep the deer out of our garden.My sister has a strand on top of her fence to keep her horse from going over the fence.It,s better than shooting,with every one sue happy no days.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
Anyhoot in most states there is a regulatory agency that covers the environment and the pollution there of. Again in most states it is specifically against the law for a person to have their private property leak a biohazardous material upon your land...
You have to be careful but photographic evidence that positively ID's both the Horse, and location in addition to the time stamp of the photo could just do the trick...
Old 01-13-2009, 09:35 PM
Master Fabricator

While you are taking pictures of the toxic waste your neighbor is dumping on your land, politely shovel it from your land and place it ever so slightly on the hood of his vehicle.Maybe that won't cause as many problems as all the rest of these politically correct suggestions and you will in turn train your dumba$$ neighbor to keep his sheet on his land.

Last edited by baxter; 01-13-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:37 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
I'd like to add in sharks with frickin' lasers on their heads!
Old 01-14-2009, 02:02 AM
Master Fabricator

What I would do is put up a gold fence and charge the nieghbor half of it!
Old 01-14-2009, 08:30 AM
Master Fabricator

Dig a big hole (back hoe) on the back half of your poperty. Add hay and a few carrots and play dumb when the horse comes up missing. Month later fill hole.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:48 PM
Master Fabricator

Send the neighbor the bill for the feed, certified mail, signature required.

Inform the neighbor, the next time the horse comes visiting, you will tie it up to ensure it's safety from possibly getting hit by a car on the highway, and call the SO, and the SPCA and inform them you found a horse on your property. If they remain so lackadistical then they have no business owning the horse to begin with. Once they feel the problem in thier wallet, they will sit up and take notice
Old 01-14-2009, 03:22 PM

For the most part is it a good horse?? rideable, etc How old?? If suggested criteria is meet, I can come pick it up this weekend, I dont believe your neighbor will be looking in Illinois when it comes up missing.. Besides My daughter needs an early b-day gift..

http://rock4xfabrication.com
1-847-672-9653
1-847-544-1823
Old 01-14-2009, 03:49 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock4XFab View Post
...... If suggested criteria is meet, .....
Did you want to say "met" or "meat". Either way I think we have us a deal.

Cris Merry
Cris@bend-tech.com