Go Back OFN Forums > Marketplace > Help Wanted

Help Wanted fab shops looking for employees

Help Wanted fab shops looking for employees

Old 12-21-2009, 02:24 AM
Master Fabricator

Job wanted

I have thought and thought about posting this here, talked it over with my kid and my GF, and after encouragement from both, I decided to bite the bullet.
I need a Job. I'm willing to relocate.
Let me tell you a bit about myself, and what I'm hoping for.
I'm 35 years old, got a kid that I have custody of, she's 10 and my princess. I have a long term GF of 9 years who is willing to relocate with me, not necessarily immediately tho.
I have always been a tinkerer, taking stuff apart to see how it works. I have a perverted fascination with BIG engines, heavy equipment, fabrication, and things that go boom.
I grew up on a farm, learned how to drive a dump truck at 8 years old, and to this day, I can drive anything you stick me in. I also have family with an excavating and explosive business and Ive helped out there many many times. I can operate anything from a D9 cat to a Komatsu trackhoe. I also know how to wire and safely detonate Dynamite and ANFO.
I went to trade school for 4 years and got my certificates in Diesel and Automotive mechanics. I'm 1 gen ed class away from having 2 associates degrees in those as well.
I ran my own automotive/welding shop out in the boonies for 4 years till the Farmer sold his land and the shop I rented to developers, and I had to close down.
Prior to that, I also had a career in the restaurant industry for nearly 10 years, every position in the house, culminating as Head Chef of a small local joint.
After i closed my shop down, I went to work for the family with the excavating and blasting business for 2 years. I had to drive 50 miles each way, so eventually I looked for other work.
At that point in time, I went to work for CBI Offroad Fab with my friend Steve, and fell in love with fabricating. I was mainly the shop grunt, making Sliders for toyotas, as well as the occasional job that Steve didn't want to do, like roll cages. Steve liked making bumpers and generally had me do whatever else came in.
The problem with that job, is that the pay was too low for me at that time. I was averaging around $8-$9 an hour overall.
I had another friend that was a warehouse manager for a local window/door distributor who offered me a job as the warehouse man, and I took it for a bit more money and benefits. During my time there, I also maintained their fleet of delivery trucks and reorganized how they kept inventory and product tracking. After about a year, my friend left to start his own business, and I got promoted to manager. I supervised 2 warehouse guys, 2 drivers, and 2 service technicians. Unfortunately, my promotion was short-lived, as the economy took a tumble, so did the company I worked for. After a year in that position, I was laid off, along with roughly 3/4 of the company's workforce. Since that time, I have been out of work, just picking up side jobs here and there fixing stuff for people.
In the last year, I have had to deplete my savings to stay afloat. While I'm receiving unemployment, it isn't enough to pay my bills. I wish I could start my own shop again, but having sold off most of my shop tools, etc. realistically it isn't an option for me.
I really love fabrication and welding, and would dearly love to learn how to operate Machine tools, and learn how to TIG weld.
I'm a pretty good MIG welder, but in all honesty, I suck ass at stick welding. I've always disliked it for some reason, so I stuck with my trusty mig machine.

My dream is to be in an offroad industry shop, being involved in the variety of sports out there, and being able to make some of these awesome machines that are built to fulfill some guys dream.

I am willing to relocate for the right job, and i'm pretty open minded about where I go. Unfortunately, along with relocation, I would need some help with it. Since Ive depleted my savings, my resources are limited, but If I had some help with a place to stay for my kid and I until enough money came in to get into my own place, I think I could get where a job is on my own.

If you are looking for a hard working employee who is passionate about the industry, and you think I could be your guy, please let me know. Hopefully we can work something out.
Thanks
AJ
Old 12-21-2009, 03:51 AM
Master Fabricator

I got nothing, just want to send ya all the best!

Old 12-21-2009, 04:40 AM
Master Fabricator

Just curious what parts of the country would you relocate to??

What parts have you been in??

Is there still work to be had with the parents company?? If so that would be a no brainer. maybe family infighting been there done that.

I will just say one thing about women moving or relocating talk is cheap.

Where I live here in eastern Pa there is a whole herd of people who think nothing of driving @75 miles one way to work 5 days a week. at between 75 to 100 mph have you ever been in this kind of traffic .

Think where you want to go and start to send your resume online and by snail mail followed up by phone calls .

You might want to look at the domestic energy exploration quite a bit going on in northern Pa and southern New York for Natural Gas.

The amount of jobs in the off road industry are few and far between at any time.

Good luck

then to do the welding
Old 12-21-2009, 05:27 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoming9 View Post

Where I live here in eastern Pa there is a whole herd of people who think nothing of driving @75 miles one way to work 5 days a week. at between 75 to 100 mph have you ever been in this kind of traffic .

ha Come live in England most people do that every day, My brother in laws girl thinks nothing of leaving the house a 05:30, returning after 20:00 after driving 2hours each way to work. With everyone doing 80-110 on any type of road
Old 12-21-2009, 10:22 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoming9 View Post
Just curious what parts of the country would you relocate to??

What parts have you been in??

Is there still work to be had with the parents company?? If so that would be a no brainer. maybe family infighting been there done that.

I will just say one thing about women moving or relocating talk is cheap.

Think where you want to go and start to send your resume online and by snail mail followed up by phone calls .

You might want to look at the domestic energy exploration quite a bit going on in northern Pa and southern New York for Natural Gas.

The amount of jobs in the off road industry are few and far between at any time.

Good luck
When I was in my early 20's, I got a wild hair up my ass and decided I wanted to hitch hike across country. Ive been to every state cept one.
I lived in Spartanburg, SC for a bit, as well as Tampa, FL. Both places I had hella commutes to work in high speed traffic. Commuting in the Rocky Mountains in the winter is a bit different than anywhere else tho. Plus, I had a little girl at daycare that needed her daddy home at a reasonable hour, as I was all she had. I've been to PA, and I thought the PA countryside was quite beautiful, actually most of New England outside the heavy urban centers is very very nice.
The family I spoke of wasnt my parents, it was Uncles. He has several boys of his own, and right now the economy has forced him to lay off even some of his own boys.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:09 PM
Master Fabricator

I dont think you want to tell employers that you mainly mig weld and thats your prefered method, at this type of economy you want your welding skills to be as diverse as it can be meaning mig tig and stick. Just a thought.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:39 PM
Master Fabricator

"THEY" just updated my county's unemployment rate to the banner headline "Jobless Rate Declines".
So, evidently it did!!
It went from the official 15.2% to 14.7% a whopping 0.5.% Drop!
I wonder what the margin of error is on those numbers, did people find work? or did their benefits run out, or did the move out of the area?

Geez this is depressing! I'm going to go read Dawgz Poetry again!

Old 12-21-2009, 07:29 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I dont think you want to tell employers that you mainly mig weld and thats your prefered method, at this type of economy you want your welding skills to be as diverse as it can be meaning mig tig and stick. Just a thought.
normally I agree. But I also want to be as honest as I can, and in this crowd, I know ya can't bullshit the bullshitters..
I'm not sayin I won't learn, I'm just saying what my experience has been. On the contrary, I WANT to learn everything I can!
Old 12-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Fabricator

I might have a couple of side jobs for your dynamite skills! Do you know how to take down houses and leave no evidence? Might be a night shift job.

Just kidding, wish you the best of luck finding something. One thing that kind of stuck out when reading your "resume" was that it seems like you have left some jobs just for more money, a lot of employeers get a little nervous when they get that feeling. They don't want to hire someone and have them working till they find something better, just some friendly advice.

Good luck
Old 12-22-2009, 04:49 PM
Master Fabricator

Wish I could help, It's been a ruffer than normal year for me as well ..

I liked your bio, and know it's not a resume... interesting to read, you've done some of the things I have along lifes path way...

I think the only advice I can give ATM that others havn't in these trying times is 'Trim around that Nut-scratcher' ... I've been blessed in being self-employed and can't grow one ...

All the Best of luck to ya my Idahoe Spud Bro ....

Dog....

Last edited by FrogDog; 12-22-2009 at 07:55 PM. Reason: It's Xmas .. hehe
Old 12-22-2009, 08:33 PM
Master Fabricator

Thanks FrogDog.
You are the kind of guy that I would consider an Honor and Privilege to work for. we would have fun, work hard, and play harder.
Cheers Bro, and I appreciate you thinking of me.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:38 AM
Master Fabricator

Red face

How goes the job search???

have you made any progress at all??

It sucks around the holidays not much gets done in the hiring area.

Good luck!!!

then to do the welding
Old 12-30-2009, 09:37 AM
Fabricator

I know of a few jobs in Australia, fabrication is the same all over the world .. just our steering wheels are on the right side.

From what I have seen of USA rates we get paid better and are not suffering to bad from the GFC..

I have a mate who runs an Ofroad Fabrication shop and is looking for a guy just like you who is keen and willing to learn, he tried hiring guys who new it all but seems most knew less than they reaslised when it it came to doing what they say they can.

I agree with you on the tig front, if you can't do it no point pretending.

Back in the day when I use to hire guys to fabricate the first thing I would do when they showed for an interview was point to the welder and some scrap and say go weld. Never cared what was on paper unless they had the skills to make customers happy and bring $$$$ in.

Anyway prob not much help but good luck with the job hunt..
Old 12-30-2009, 10:32 AM
Master Fabricator

Thanks for the good wishes guys..
Unfortunately nothin much happening yet.
I would love to go to Australia, even looked into what was required to move there a year or so ago. not that hard if you have a job there, but alot of money to get there.