Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Race Car Fabrication

Race Car Fabrication There is a lot of cool fabriaction going on the race car industry, show us what you got.

Race Car Fabrication There is a lot of cool fabriaction going on the race car industry, show us what you got.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:43 PM
Master Fabricator

Re-uploaded to get away from the music police. Only difference is one song has been changed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dltpd-EwPls

Last edited by Redliner; 03-05-2017 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:36 PM
Master Fabricator

vid #1?
Old 03-02-2017, 08:53 PM
Master Fabricator

Yeah - I'm just producing the second part. Upload shortly
Old 03-03-2017, 05:21 PM
Master Fabricator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXnljPipGMk
Old 03-03-2017, 08:11 PM
Master Fabricator

Keen-O!!

E
Old 03-03-2017, 10:42 PM
Master Fabricator

Old 03-06-2017, 12:48 AM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
Thanks, I was wondering how to do the inside of a 90!

E
Thanks for the whole thread. Such an informative thread
Old 04-07-2017, 07:08 PM
Master Fabricator

I have been busy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXpTxaPYxNg
Old 04-18-2017, 06:23 AM
Master Fabricator

Got the fiberglass rear bootlid I made for the Interlude fitted, along with my Pikes Peak style rear wing base.

The fiberglass/Kevlar sunroof replacement panel with it's WRX scoop is bogged in, and saves me 25kg.

I had some polished stainless steel ducting left over from our new kitchen exhaust range hood - ideal material from which to make a cold induction air box that will receive pressured air through the dummy headlight hole. This is WAY better than warm air from inside the engine bay as the previous car's owner (and most young street tyro's) had done. A swimming pool skimmer box filter sock over the pod filter more than doubles it's life in the dust, and it is easily removed & washed or cheaply replaced. Cold, clean pressurised air.... one of the most neglected free sources of more power. A walk around the pits will show you that 95% of cars at any car racing meet at our level will have overlooked it.

I started sculpting the rear flared & scooped guards for my Prelude dirt racer today by re-cycling the parts I made & used for sculpting the front guards. These will be add-on panels that will go over the OME ones. Right from the get-go they look awesome....wait till I add the air scoops between them & the door edge. Although I could just screw all the sculpting pieces to the car, mold it on the car & then cut it off - I will instead work out a way of doing the sculpting so I can easily remove the die off the car. This will make fiberglassing the inner edges possible with the sculpture lying flat because these flares need flanges blended in to join the m to the OME rear wheel arch edge and to avoid you seeing the factory panel it will bolt over.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:18 PM
Master Fabricator

MORE PLEASE

Old 05-09-2017, 10:13 PM
Master Fabricator

With fresh fiberglass supplies I can now make copies from various existing molds of mine to make the scoops and extra flared guard lips I need to sculpt the rear wide body parts for my Honda Interlude dirt car build. I hope to be cutting & gluing by day's end. These are the vents off the custom front bar that I made for my Falcon ute tow car.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:57 PM
Master Fabricator

Side scoops for the Interlude came out of the molds using water to crack the PVA release, a trick I use on shapes likely to hang up like these. This pic shows where they came from, and they'll be turned upside down and back to front for the Honda sculpting. Lesson? NEVER throw out a broken after market bar - & if a mate does... grab it!
Old 05-10-2017, 01:57 AM
Master Fabricator

Just initial cut & screw at this point, but it looks like Iím gonna get the Shelby 350GT Mustang appearance here that I want.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:54 PM
Master Fabricator

I started over-laying the main rear wing for my Honda Interlude dirt car, each layer being a two stage process. Some left over offcuts of the foam blank presented themselves as ideal candidates for sculpting some canards.

Old 05-11-2017, 01:17 AM
Master Fabricator

I took the sheet metal base off the car & drilled lotsa holes to ensure all my bits really stick to it strongly, then I screwed it back on and bogged the chopped bits of fiberglass panels in place. Iíll do a little more flowing of the lines before I take it off the car to feather all the edges.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:49 PM
Master Fabricator

My custom flared & scooped rear fender guard die came off the Interlude dirt car ok, so I can now do the final sculpting & strengthening of this die with it in a horizontal position. Just the initial blending & filling with it on the bench has improved it dramatically.

[img]http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa356/0buthonda/Interlude
/GOPR2335_zpsmxtnh3uc.jpg[/img]
Old 05-12-2017, 03:25 AM
Master Fabricator

Second layer of fiberglass on my Interludeís rear wing is 6oz. woven cloth (as used on surf boards), and gives a much smoother surface than the chopped strand mat layer it follows.

Old 05-13-2017, 12:23 AM
Master Fabricator

This morning I layed up the top side of the woven cloth I put on the underside of my rear wing yesterday. After lunch I trimmed it to fit in position behind the boot of the Interlude where it's angle will be adjustable. Is it big enough?

Old 05-13-2017, 01:02 AM
Master Fabricator

I use un-expanded Rivnuts to mount my wings. I dig foam out of their ends and epoxy them in place, covering the whole wing end for max strength.

Old 05-21-2017, 12:48 AM
Master Fabricator

Typical day for me at the moment - fiberglassing car parts to sell to raise build $$$ for our house while we save for a few big items. Enforcement of some fairly irrelevant rules by one car club where my Interlude will race demands ALL headlights be in place (working or not), so I can't get cold air induction through one as I'd planned. First pic is of the WRX scoop (orange) I've cut down for the Interlude bonnet as my plan B. The two blue pieces are the canards I've sculpted for that Honda, & I think they'll fit many other cars too - including the Muscle Hatch. Might flog a few. We'll see. As this photo was taken I had just painted them with Estapol 7008 2 pack epoxy floor varnish to seal them before I start making copies off them. The canards are the actual molds, whereas the WRX scoop is my sculpted die which I have yet to mold. Second pic shows three Mazda RX7 FD headlight covers I am making for James to flog. One is an aftermarket one off one of his many wrecks that included a cold air scoop in it. The OME ones only have thin plastic mounting brackets which snap if you look at them. Once the wind gets under the covers.... goodbye! I add sheet metal mounts to mine, so these will truly be unbreakable & meet an unmet demand among RX7 owners. The R&D on these took me MANY attempts before I got it to a standard we can sell. The black mold at the back is a inner front mudguard liner for RX7FD's. When guys on the street or track fit wide/big tyres they kill the OME ones. The Redline design is just a narrowed front half which avoids this problem, but still keeps the tyre dirt being thrown into the engine bay. Once again fiberglass murders the OME plastic ones for longlevity and they use factory mounting points for convenience.