Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > Metal Forming Tools

Metal Forming Tools Air Shaping and Planishing Hammers, English Wheels, Shrinking/Stretching Machine, Metal Formers, Bead Forming Machines, Sheet Metal Brakes

Metal Forming Tools Air Shaping and Planishing Hammers, English Wheels, Shrinking/Stretching Machine, Metal Formers, Bead Forming Machines, Sheet Metal Brakes

Old 03-31-2009, 08:48 PM
Master Fabricator

Yes, very clear on that now. Thank you. See my above post please ...

J. J.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:57 PM
Master Fabricator

So in otherwords, with your clearance, do the halves of the die mate like A or B?

J. J.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:58 PM
Master Fabricator

B
Old 03-31-2009, 09:08 PM
Master Fabricator

OK, getting back to Graham's formula then, for .188 material, over 1/4" of clearance is called for all the way around the dimple ... that just seems like WAY too much???

J. J.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:30 AM
Master Fabricator

Wow, you guys were busy last night!

As I'm re-reading all this, I feel like a real ass. I screwed up my trig...it should have been

OD female = OD male + 2*mat'l thickness*tan(flare angle) NOT divided by the tangent...

Which makes the correct OD on a 2" OD die for 0.188" mat'l 2.264" for a 35 degree flare, not over 2-1/2" like my original post, which is WAY too much, just like you saw.

When I did mine, I just offset the surface in CAD by my material thickness to get the profile for my female die, then just dimensioned in CAD.

I'm really sorry about that...typical engineer, right? I'm glad you didn't scrap a hunk of steel, or I would have been asking for your PayPal account to send some funds...

My dies mate like your pic B.

Last edited by Graham08; 04-01-2009 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:09 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham08 View Post
Wow, you guys were busy last night!

As I'm re-reading all this, I feel like a real ass. I screwed up my trig...it should have been

OD female = OD male + 2*mat'l thickness*tan(flare angle) NOT divided by the tangent...

Which makes the correct OD on a 2" OD die for 0.188" mat'l 2.264" for a 35 degree flare, not over 2-1/2" like my original post, which is WAY too much, just like you saw.

When I did mine, I just offset the surface in CAD by my material thickness to get the profile for my female die, then just dimensioned in CAD.

I'm really sorry about that...typical engineer, right? I'm glad you didn't scrap a hunk of steel, or I would have been asking for your PayPal account to send some funds...

My dies mate like your pic B.
AWSOME! Thanks, I was really looking forward to your reply! I knew something looked fishy! :) Makes a ton more sense now!

When I am done drawing all my dies up in Solidworks I will gladly post the drawings ...

J. J.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:08 AM
Junior Fabricator

Cant Wait

I am looking forward to seeing your drawings and the finished product. Let us know how they work and how the dimples turn out.
If it all goes well I want to make myself a set and with your permission I would like to use your drawings.
Thks in advance
Old 04-06-2009, 09:07 AM
Master Fabricator

Fine by me. I've got them drawn up, just need to pot some drawings. I got my "ingot" of steel this weekend ... a piece of 5x5" round stock. :)

J. J.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:28 PM
Master Fabricator

OK, here they are. Somone LOOK AT THESE AND VERIFY DIMENSIONS PLEASE as these are not meant to be the difinitive "machine to" specs. I have never made these before and am myself looking for crtitque on their design. Everything is designed with a 35% angle in relation to the piece of plate that would be getting dimpled with "clearance" dimensions calulated using Graham's formula for 3/16 thick material. Someday if I need to do thinner I may draw some more up.

Everything is 1:1 scale to print on a piece of 8.5x11 paper.

1"

1.5"

2"

2.5"

3"

J. J.

PS: When making yours you may want to adjust the ultimate OD of the bigger dies as I just made mine 5.5" because that is the material I have and it will save me some machine time to not turn it down.

PPS: If design changes are suggested and I change the drawings I will simply overwrite the .jpg file that is on my server and not bother reposting the drawing. Therefore, follow this thread. If something changes, it will be reflected in the original photo.

Last edited by patooyee; 04-06-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Master Fabricator

They look good to me! Nice work on the drawings. You must have a pretty beefy press to be dimpling 3/16".

The only suggestion I have is you may want to cut the female die slightly on the small side to start and do a test dimple. That way, if modifications need to be made, you have some material left to do it.

Last edited by Graham08; 04-06-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:03 PM
Master Fabricator

I thought the same about doing smaller first.

I have a 20-ton press. I have two buddies that do 3/16 on a regular basis with 20-tons.

J. J.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:20 PM
Junior Fabricator

Funny enough I got my LightRacing set in early last week and modeled all the male dies (all I need for creating forming tools) in Solidworks.

patooyee, add your male dies to your library and you can easily drag and drop dimples on your model.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:43 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopeassjackson View Post
i just made the angle slightly longer so it would make a taller dimple in the plate.
i also made a combo 1/2in and 3/4in on the other side, sharing the same female piece. it works well and saves material and having to drill the extra hole.

I dimpled 3/16th with the 1/2in side of this die last week. it took 40tons of pressure but theres hardly a mark on the die. dimple came out great. heres how it came out, sorry no bare metal pics.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:46 PM
Master Fabricator

Nice! It looks to be a pretty steep flare too. My guess is that's why it took so much force.
How far does the flare stick up?
Old 04-23-2009, 06:53 PM
Master Fabricator

not sure maby 1/4in
Old 05-09-2009, 04:22 PM
Fabricator

Your 1" female drawing only has a .750 hole through the center so the male side won't fit into the hole.

Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by patooyee View Post
OK, here they are. Somone LOOK AT THESE AND VERIFY DIMENSIONS PLEASE as these are not meant to be the difinitive "machine to" specs. I have never made these before and am myself looking for crtitque on their design. Everything is designed with a 35% angle in relation to the piece of plate that would be getting dimpled with "clearance" dimensions calulated using Graham's formula for 3/16 thick material. Someday if I need to do thinner I may draw some more up.

Everything is 1:1 scale to print on a piece of 8.5x11 paper.

J. J.

PS: When making yours you may want to adjust the ultimate OD of the bigger dies as I just made mine 5.5" because that is the material I have and it will save me some machine time to not turn it down.

PPS: If design changes are suggested and I change the drawings I will simply overwrite the .jpg file that is on my server and not bother reposting the drawing. Therefore, follow this thread. If something changes, it will be reflected in the original photo.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:03 AM
Master Fabricator

You're right, thank you. Will correct.

J. J.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:50 PM
Junior Fabricator

worth the money?

I just saw a tread on pirate for dimple die set of 7 for sale on ebay for $150.
"7 piece set includes dies to fit the following hole sizes (see below for other options): 1/2 inch, 3/4 inch, 1 inch, 1-1/4 inch, 1-1/2 inch, 1-3/4 inch, and 2 inch"

I'd like to see what your opinion is on these before I spend the money. I would hate to pay for cheap dimple dies that will break or won't work and still have to shell out the $300 I was planning to spending in the first place.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Custo...motiveQ5fTools
Old 05-10-2009, 04:22 PM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39ranger View Post
"7 piece set includes dies to fit the following hole sizes (see below for other options): 1/2 inch, 3/4 inch, 1 inch, 1-1/4 inch, 1-1/2 inch, 1-3/4 inch, and 2 inch"

I'd like to see what your opinion is on these before I spend the money. I would hate to pay for cheap dimple dies that will break or won't work and still have to shell out the $300 I was planning to spending in the first place.

There's a discussion on them here http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=786210
Old 05-10-2009, 04:27 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39ranger View Post

I don't have any experience with those particular ones, but they do look nice and the seller has excellent feedback. Plus I really like the fact that they are made in the USA, not imports like most others. The only concern I would have is how well they would wear being made out of 1018. You might contact the seller and see what he has to say about that. If you did get a set, you might consider having them Cryo'd if you have a place to get that done in your area.