Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Old 06-20-2019, 02:12 PM
Master Fabricator

Old 06-20-2019, 02:13 PM
Master Fabricator

last week I got some more stuff done. Made some kick panel speaker pods which still need some body work and eventually upholstery. Installed a set of bucket seats and worked on the tune a bit more.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:13 PM
Master Fabricator

did some work on the wheel wells and started on the foundation for the bed wood... and a shot of wheel lip.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:15 PM
Master Fabricator

I'm getting a little closer to putting the big brakes on the front. Not sure how well the CCA pine will hold up, so may switch to maple or oak. I also made a new master cylinder push rod with a heim joint on the pedal end. this made the pedal feel a lot better since there was a little slop in the old set up.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:18 PM
Master Fabricator

a multi day ramble about efi tuning:

This makes no sense to me. Been playing with the 41's efi tune. One thing I'm having trouble with comes on as IAT and ECT get up into their normal (for the 41) fully warmed up cruising temps. Before it's fully warm, things seem pretty good, minimal issues. After fully warm it seems to get lean when opening the throttle. The faster the throttle opens, the worse it is. Basically it backfires lightly. I'm leaving actual A/F numbers out of this because I began by tuning for normal numbers, but this combo likes a richer than normal A/F. Not crazy, just a bit rich. I have IAT and ECT enrichment set to no enrichment when at cruising temps. Before it gets to cruising temps it acts ok so I'm thinking that my AE is ok - MAP, TPS changes, etc. I'm going to try 2 tables that I found in the canned FAST tunes that add fuel as temp goes up.

this gets more interesting. I loaded those two tables in and went for a drive. The first thing I noticed is that it's not coming up to the temp it normally does, which is around 200-210 degrees. It's hanging around 180-190. At first I thought that it was never going to get into the enrichment I added. And then I saw that the O2 correction was at max, just over -10%. Then I saw that the A/F was around 10:1 ! I would've expected it to feel rich and sluggish but it seemed to be running very well. I stopped at a light and it stalled because it was way too rich at that point. I haven't looked at the log yet so I'm not sure what WOT is. Aside from the idle stall, it seemed to run better than ever. I'm wondering if the O2 sensor calibration may be off some and it's giving a reading that is a bit richer than it actually is. I may hook up my stand alone wideband to check it.

after looking at the log and realizing how bad my clothes stink from the rich exhaust, I think the O2 readings are probably correct or close. There's no option to calibrate the O2 readings. First I'm going to drive it again with the temperature based enrichment cut in 1/2. Depending on how that goes I may try changing the target A/F ratio in the cruise area and add some fuel to the same area of the VE table. I can't believe that operating temp dropped by about 20 degrees, I did not expect that to happen.

Last edited by wedged; 06-20-2019 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:21 PM
Master Fabricator

I can only assume that during the most recent tuning I must have gone too lean and had some detonation that I did not hear. Ended up with a rod knock. oops. The short block has a stock cast crank and stock smog pistons so it's not that big of a deal to hurt it.

the crank didn't look horrible

bearing for 7 & 8 spun

5 & 6 didn't spin but look pretty bad

The rest of the bearings weren't great but not horrible

stripper glitter in the pan

went to walmart and got an engine rebuild kit

then decided that i should try some new bearings

notched the crossmember so a 6 qt pan would fit

added a fitting for future use

after starting it up, it had good oil pressure so I fully warmed it up, let it cool for a while and then went for a drive. I made it about 3/4 of mile from the house and the knock was back. Continued on a 4 mile loop back to the house which included a WOT run up to about 4,600 rpm to data log.

I then checked inventory and scoured craiglslist to try to find a running 440 cheap.

The wife said to fix it right so who am I to argue ?

Last edited by wedged; 06-20-2019 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:23 PM
Master Fabricator

1975 block, standard bore.

4.150 stroker crank :dance

Icon dished pistons. should end up about 9.3:1 with the 84 cc Edelbrock heads

Rods & cam bearings

...and I have to deal with this some how. I need 1/4" more clearance to fit a high volume pump in there. I've already go an idea and it doesn't involve moving the engine.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:23 PM
Master Fabricator

i confirmed the 1975 block was untouched after it left the factory. It still had a rope rear main seal and the bearings had a 1975 date on them. The Eagle crank looks really nice. I wanted to see where the block might need some clearance work. The oil pick up boss for sure, but I can't tell if the bottom of the bores will need anything.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:25 PM
Master Fabricator

pulled the engine last sunday

Old 06-20-2019, 02:26 PM
Master Fabricator

I got some of the block prep done over the weekend. Removed casting flash, drilled and tapped for 1/2" pickup and radiused the junction in the oil intake passage

Old 06-20-2019, 02:28 PM
Master Fabricator

this straight coupler is about 1/2" smaller in diameter than the stock dakota vibration dampener coupler. That should allow enough clearance for a high volume oil pump. I need to get a new u-joint coupler to make this work.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:28 PM
Master Fabricator

The block is almost ready to go to the machine shop. I reamed the oil feeds from the oil galley to the main bearing to 9/32". Still waiting for the main caps and girdle to show up.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:29 PM
Master Fabricator

The machine shop Mesa Balancing sent me a few pictures of the block after it was acid washed and shot peened. The owner, Laz, said they did some balance work earlier this week.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:30 PM
Master Fabricator

They started mock up on the block for fitting the BCR Products main caps and the girdle. They found the main cap studs are a little longer than the overall height of the cap. This means they need to use bolts for the caps while they machine the cap and oil pan rail to match. Then the studs can go back in. They also found the studs didn't quite fit through the clearance holes in the girdle so they are going to open those holes a little. In the pictures it appears that the caps are below the pan rail. Laz confirmed that the caps are in fact taller than the oil pan rail.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:30 PM
Master Fabricator

The pan rails were machined and now the girdle fits.

Old 06-22-2019, 04:14 PM
Master Fabricator

everything got dropped off last night and today I put the block on the stand.

Old 06-24-2019, 11:44 AM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Man that's too bad she developed a knock. I wonder if that was really tune-related or just coincidental. Seems if it was running rich, the tune should have been fairly safe. Did you ever figure out the source of the knock and the glitter in the oil?

That main girdle setup looks stout! What are your power goals for this build?

Ongoing 70 Nova build: http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/...ead.php?t=8160
Old 06-25-2019, 09:40 AM
Master Fabricator

I had leaned it out after the very rich tune. If you look through the pics you can see the rod bearings from the first time. I didn't bother pulling the rod caps yet this time, just stripped the top end and put it on a stand. I'm thinking 750 hp is reasonable.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:34 AM
Master Fabricator

I have not done any mock up of the short block yet, but I have been thinking about modifying the intake manifold so I can install an LS style throttle body. I made a cardboard mock up and then edited the picture to look like what I may do.

Old 12-12-2019, 08:20 PM
Master Fabricator

It's been a few months since I updated. There was a bunch of other stuff I was working on plus some travel and a career change which contributed to some delays in progress and posting updates. I have done several mock ups and ran into a few issues. The first issue was that one of the main journals on the crank had a small area near the radius that was not ground correctly. it was a few thousands too big and locked the crank when the nuts for the caps were just run down hand tight. That was corrected and then the crank spun very easily with oil. Once that was done I could mock up a pair of pistons and rods in each hole, one pair of bores at a time. Several bores needed to be clearanced for the rod bolts. As expected the oil pick up boss needed work too. I also mixed a few .001 undersized rod bearings with standard ones to get the oil clearance the machine shop wanted. Then file fit all of the rings with the extra clearance for pressurizing the intake manifold. I installed all of the core plugs, pipe plugs, pistons and rings. The cam is also in place but I have not installed the timing chain. Next was fitting the oil pick up tube. It still needs some work and I will be modifying the oil pan too. I will also be modifying a Milodon windage tray so it won't be sandwiched between the pan the girdle.